• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

coming out of the modelling slump - slowly

Started by Barney, November 20, 2012, 12:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Nice project. Someday I want to do a mine hoist powered by an old truck.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 24, 2012, 07:26:44 PM
Nice project. Someday I want to do a mine hoist powered by an old truck.

Sounds very Lane Stewartish . Actually , I have been thinking on those lines recently as well . I have two pictures of old vehicles being used as mine winches . The first is an old lorry with its rear axles removed and a winch mounted on the back and , my favourite , a Ruston-Bucyrus RB17/19 off its crawlers and with its jib removed doing the same job . They would both make good models . The pictures can both be found in " Small Mines of South Wales" by A. J. Booth .

Nick

Barney

Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Nice roof ! , details please

See you could not built something without including OD!
Gordon

Barney

Roof covering is "tissue paper" cut to suitable size strips - dipped in a dilute mixture of PVA glue and water (same mix as you would use for scenery / ground cover) and cover the roof - crinkle it a bit to leave air bubbles to get a lifting effect of the roof covering if required . the tissue paper normally has a dull side and a slightly gloss side use both to give a slightly different effect -
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Malachi Constant

Looking more-n-more interesting all the time.  Like the change to the vertical cooling barrel.  Cheers, Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

5thwheel

Looking good Barney. One question (coming from rainy Oregon I can't help but notice) how are you going to keep the rain run off from the cab roof from getting into the engine and stalling it out?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Barney

I will have to think this one out !! Watch this space ( Gordon help how do I wriggle on this one)
Barney
Looking for an old inner tube

Gordon Ferguson

Bill, you will need to refer back to the original blueprints (page 1) , a drawing worthy of DeVinci!

As you will see reference is made to a corrugated roof over the whole contraption, now obviously modern developments with materials have now reached a stage where the tar paper roof is the better option .... As captured in the tissue build above. This immensly and weather proof structure will ensure that no rain actually falls on the vehicle roof and thus there are no issues re water run off on to the engine.

.fivers in the envelope please Barney 

Gordon

Barney

British innovations at its best - and when I find that old inner tube all it wants is a bit tucked under the bonnet or hood or what ever you want to call it
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

shropshire lad

Quote from: 5thwheel on December 06, 2012, 09:12:31 AM
Looking good Barney. One question (coming from rainy Oregon I can't help but notice) how are you going to keep the rain run off from the cab roof from getting into the engine and stalling it out?

Easy . Put a gutter on the roof .

Do I have to do all the thinking around here !

Nick

5thwheel

Quote from: gfadvance on December 06, 2012, 11:56:52 AM
Bill, you will need to refer back to the original blueprints (page 1) , a drawing worthy of DeVinci!

As you will see reference is made to a corrugated roof over the whole contraption, now obviously modern developments with materials have now reached a stage where the tar paper roof is the better option .... As captured in the tissue build above. This immensly and weather proof structure will ensure that no rain actually falls on the vehicle roof and thus there are no issues re water run off on to the engine.

What a relief.  I was concerned that the engine would get flooded out when really needed.   ;D

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

Quote from: gfadvance on December 06, 2012, 11:56:52 AM

What a relief.  I was concerned that the engine would get flooded out when really needed.   ;D

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.