• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Beautiful work by Japanese Modeler Ichiyoh Haga

Started by marc_reusser, November 04, 2010, 01:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

That's some beautiful work Marc, most impressive... thanks for posting the link. I'm particularly taken with the consistent emotional feel throughout the miniatures. They are strong in the photos, I expect when seen in person they really draw you in...

Paul

jim s-w

Speaking personally I stand by my thoughts that this stuff is gorgeous.

I know there are people here who are into the competitions and that's great if it makes them happy but I dont compare one modellers work with the next guy.  It might not be as good as chuck but I have to be honest and say I dont really care.  Chucks stuff is fabulous too as are so many projects on here.  If one is better than the other then so be it but to me its all great modelling and I appreciate the time and effort people put into posting their stuff.

Keep it fun people!

Thanks

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Ray Dunakin

Some thoughts...

What makes Ichiyoh's small scale models stand out is not that they are perfect miniatures, but that they so beautifully capture the sense of time and place. There is an emotional element to them that moves people. This is where craft crosses over into art, IMHO.

His models are not technically perfect but they are very, very good. (I also wouldn't judge a small scale model by the same standards as a 1/24th scale model -- to do so is unrealistic.) But a miniature which is technically a perfect reproduction yet lacks "soul" would be less appealing.

It's true this forum isn't all "back-slapping adoration", but there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and just saying, in essence, "That's lame". Also, there are only a tiny handful of modelers who currently produce work with both a high degree of perfection and emotional impact. Does that mean nothing else is worthy of praise? I don't think so.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

I really like Ichiyoh Haga modeling, i enjoyed his Web site and his models :)   Craig H
Craig

Junior

Hey Ray,

I´m in total agreement with you. His small scale work is very, very good. If they are technically perfect or not is impossible to tell under the circumstances these pictures were taken. First of all they are not the best focused pictures I have seen but I believe here he wants to create a special atmosphere - kind of spooky in my opinion - very beautiful.
To compare 1/80 scale work with let´s say anything larger than 1/48 is in my opinion out of the question. Who would be able to create a gas pump like Chucks´ in 1/80 scale? Impossible! ??? If his large scale work is the best I have seen? Don´t know and it doesn´t matter to me it´s just terrific and again here he is able to create some spectacular enviroments.

Marc, thanks for posting this link.

Anders ;D