• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A snapshot in time. A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale.

Started by Hydrostat, September 27, 2013, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan G

Volker; your work is so inspiring and wonderful. I know I don't contribute much to this site but viewing the work of the best of the best is very stimulating....Allan

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for the great pics of Volker and his work. It's always nice to have a face to put with a name.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Volker, you look far better in that photo than you do on Skype -- Cary Grant vs. Frankenstein! Okay, I'm being a little harsh .... By the way, the structure is really turning out adequately. -- Russ

1-32

volker you have been so busy looking just lovely.when i saw it a couple of months ago it was just past the foundation stage.
cheers

Hydrostat

Allan, Ray, Russ, Kim, Bill - thank you.

Quote from: finescalerr on May 04, 2017, 11:51:49 PM
Volker, you look far better in that photo than you do on Skype -- Cary Grant vs. Frankenstein! Okay, I'm being a little harsh .... By the way, the structure is really turning out adequately. -- Russ

Um, both of them are dead. I have to rethink that.

Cellar windows are made from layers of Cardstock and veneer of different diameters. Maybe they could be done solely from cardboard, but I think the outer surfaces with contact to weather look a bit better with some wood texture.

Cellar steps are done and await their final color finish.

That's all being visible of it later on. If at all.

Taht's why I didn't spend to much time with detailing that cellar door. Veneer is same as at the cellar steps, but with final coloring.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! I really love that window with the bars in front of it.

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Your craftmanship is immaculate as always!

But I have serious doubts about your veneer... The grain look out of scale in my opinion. Which is a shame, as it is the only giveaway that your work is a model and not the real thing.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Here's a detail shot from an old wooden door. They don't appear frequently but apparently some do have very pronounced grain and cracks. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Thanks, Ray, Hauk and Russ!

Hauk, do you think of the veneer in general or especially at the (by that time not colored) cellar steps? Without coloring it is out of scale for sure. About the door: I've seen some heavily crackled wooden cellar doors with planks like that, but the horizontal and sloped bars indeed show some out of scale grain. Howsoever please keep in mind that both the door and steps nearly won't be visible at all later on. I promise to use linden at all the visible areas  ;).

Volker

Hydrostat

First windows are done:

Toilet window from outside ...

... and inside.

Floor with victorian tiles (printed on glossy paper and joints slightly scraped wirh a toothpick).

Garage window from the bricked up opening, moved to the 'new' exterior wall. I'm still fighting with adding putty; this works for a seldom or never cleaned window, but there are some clean ones to come. Any idea how to apply putty in extremely thin skein without leaving a mess?

Cheers,
Volker

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ho-hum. Yet another example of the flawless artistry typical of this group. But we're already used to perfection. Can't you do something better than perfect? -- ssuR

1-32