• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

19th Century Cornish Stable

Started by granitechops, March 14, 2012, 02:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

axe now in zinc chromate primer

and  bow saw now in green
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

Bow saw in permanent lodging place
earth floor now dry
Not terribly keen with the look of that floor
looks more like small coal bits
or nutty slack as we used to call it

Firewood in its final position in tack room

granitechops

view that will be seen when this end gable wall is fixed in place

finescalerr

granitechops

Quote from: finescalerr on April 27, 2012, 01:01:50 AM
It could look worse. -- Russ
And it could look better,
having tried this wall finish for the first time on the interior.
I am hoping to improve the technique when I do the exterior

granitechops

The axe handles could be improved.
I was very pleased with the way that the brass tube bent to shape in my hands, and gentle tapping the tube flattening it in to an oval, was an improvement,
But, I might try inserting a cocktail stick ( with  a very loose fit) down the bore before bending & ovalling, might maintain a better profile

And I might try trimming back the styrene underframe of the bowsaw, if I can do so without disturbing the glue bond of the covering insulation

artizen

I do a miniature enthusiasts newsletter each month and I am always looking for photos of 1:12 scale work. Would I be able to do a write up of your model for the next issue? It has a rather heady circulation of around 85 dedicated dolls modellers here in Brisbane.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

granitechops

granitechops

#1  bowsaw now with flange removed, great improvement

#2  Mark 1,2, & 3 axes

granitechops

brass tube with wood insert did not work, wood too soft
so mark 3 axe handle is solid bar, hammered a bit flat on anvil
& smoothed oval with files etc, much better look & feel & plus got solid end to heel of handle for shaping

granitechops

Looks like Grandpa's been busy
not finished obviously

artizen

I remember using an axe similar to the one in the centre to cut timber when I was a lad. Obviously we lived in a colder climate (England) than I do now (Queensland). Now I almost live in the tropics and the kids ask why would you cut timber to heat the house when all you need to do is push a button on the reverse cycle air conditioning!!!! Maybe I should send them out west past the black stump to the desert country where it gets below freezing in winter to properly explain.

Love the latest photos with all the clutter.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

The dollhouse under construction is a nice touch that lends a further sense of humanity to the scene.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Quote from: artizen on April 28, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
I remember using an axe similar to the one in the centre to cut timber when I was a lad. Obviously we lived in a colder climate (England) than I do now (Queensland). Now I almost live in the tropics and the kids ask why would you cut timber to heat the house when all you need to do is push a button on the reverse cycle air conditioning!!!! Maybe I should send them out west past the black stump to the desert country where it gets below freezing in winter to properly explain.

Love the latest photos with all the clutter.
Well Ian the advantage us older ones, that may have lived through hard times in the past, have, is that we know the wisdom of having a back up plan thats viable.
Whereas some younger ones, when the money to fuel the Air Conditioner runs out, are at a loss at how to manage ( possibly due to the expectation they were brought up with )  We hit a financial bump  a few months ago, & we have tried living at BELOW what we could actually afford in order to practice for when it might get worse, quite a challenge, and you then have a bit in hand to give yourself a treat!!

granitechops

>>     ""Looks like Grandpa's been busy""

he sure has