• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

19th Century Cornish Stable

Started by granitechops, March 14, 2012, 02:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

On the opposite wall (not yet fixed ) area above where work bench will be, is framed & card strips  zigzaged & glued in place. Card front sealed & drying before being applied, card is not being used on area below, using hard board to give strength to structure of bench

As the ply will be hidden I use  it as a mixing pallette!! ;D

Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

Card front fixed, does it look wonky? Yes it is as I found out this morning. Must have been tired last night

granitechops

Hardboard with bench back support in place

granitechops

When cutting wood on saw bench, if any odd sraps are to hand, I often rip them down to whatever might be a handy stock size, so this was at hand so cut down for support legs

granitechops

two fixed walls given a coat of pink plaster colour just to see what it looks like, wont end up this colour though
floor beams floating randomly in space
partially built bench
& chimney pot that will end up on roof

granitechops

Quote from: granitechops on March 16, 2012, 02:55:00 AM
Card front fixed, does it look wonky? Yes it is as I found out this morning. Must have been tired last night

So when cutting some wood on the saw table yesterday, ended up by chance with this wedge shaped strip, which came in handy to correct the error in measurement

granitechops

Rapid jig for cutting boards for bench top

granitechops

Elements loosely in place to show angle of access

granitechops

View into stable from tack room

granitechops

View down thro the floor joists
for reference these joists are 6mm slices, cut from shelf of a bookshelf that was 22mm thick. Possibly manufactured about 1930s, so well dry.
Dont know what sort of wood it is, very soft to saw, but not weak in structure, fine grained, but with some very small reddish flecks in, similar to those in beech

granitechops

This is very much a work in progress, I am having a bad day this morning, from the Chronic Fatigue thing,
so just playing with camera to keep the intrest going seeing some photo shot angles that are possible. Several things need changing, a lot only has first base colour, walls need application of whitewashed stone texturing ( can you get an app for that "text turing"   :D )

Not happy with the laminated base, the first one I did for the leanto outside the Packing shed was 2 layers of polystyrene sheet with 3 layers of card encapsulating it.
ended up dead square & flat. this is only one layer of polystyrene & has a definate curve in it, also if the stable is to be used with the packing shed it would also need to be another 10 mm thicker to match

granitechops

Decided the stable would still have its hay rack in the back corner
First cut 2 circles to form top rim & sides using compass cutter
used 60 thou black plasticard

granitechops

Marked out one segment, & drilled holes for 9 bars as per example found on web

http://www.belowstairs.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Equine__Horse_Brasses__Stable_Fittings__etc__18.html

13th item down

This will form the top of the rack

granitechops

Top & 2 sides assembled, as this is going to be quite fragile, I have added 2 side straps to joint the top corners together & added a temporary 'handle' in white for use during construction & painting, when cut off when completed the bits left in the corners will add extra strength

granitechops

Using card template to fix first bar ( middle one )
the bars should be round, but as I have not got any to hand, I am using half round instead which will also  bend to shape easier