• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Büssing

Started by Peter_T1958, October 23, 2022, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

OK, it's (still) not in my prefered 1/25 scale, but at least the project is moving forward. :-\

First fitting of the parts without glue as to be seen on the St. George Model's facebook page.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bernhard

This is really an impressive model, Peter. But there seems to be a lot of rework and detail work waiting.

Bernhard

Peter_T1958

You are right. It's just the first test run. There is still a lot of work to be done! And it's a real challenge for me, as we conduct all correspondence in French :-X

finescalerr

Impressive in spite of its imperfection. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Always exciting when projects move forward.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Very Nice - a very interesting model
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hydrostat

I do especially admire the steep cad learning curve you've passed within some rather short time. And the parts look really promising! Congrats so far!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

(I)t's a real challenge for me, as we conduct all correspondence in French :-X Peter

Peter, You seem to be handling that challenge very well. I'd be swamped even if all the correspondence were in Emglish.

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hydrostat on April 18, 2023, 10:31:02 AMI do especially admire the steep cad learning curve you've passed within some rather short time. And the parts look really promising!
Thanks guys for your feedback. Concerning the «learning curve» I am a little proud too, but I am also in a real fix now. My computer has reached its limits in such a way that I can take a walk to the bakery while saving a larger file (e.g. the assembled frame) ... >:(

Lawton Maner

Time to evict the bats and spiders from your wallet and upgrade.  Maybe Russ will open a category to discuss electronic projects.  ;D 

finescalerr

You may think you're kidding, Lawton, but I'm very interested in computers, built my own from 1992 until 2012 when I moved from desktops to laptops, and would not object to adding such a category to our forum if it were relevant to enough of us. -- Russ

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on April 19, 2023, 10:58:15 AMConcerning the «learning curve» I am a little proud too, but I am also in a real fix now. My computer has reached its limits in such a way that I can take a walk to the bakery while saving a larger file (e.g. the assembled frame) ... >:(

While it may be time for an upgrade, your workflow can influence performance a lot.  Obviously I do not know what you are doing or if improvement is possible but as an example from AutoCAD: If you select objects and then the operation things are very slow (if there are many and/or complex objects).  If you select the operation first and then the objects it is MUCH faster (can be sec v minutes).  Either route works and the difference is imperceptible until the project gets very large but can become significant.  There are other examples where similar and equally acceptable results can be achieved much quicker by changing the method slightly.

It is also worth looking at detailed performance when things get slow.  If the choke point is read/write then installing an SSD may be a quick fix (and you can move it to a new build later)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Stuart

Impressive work Peter. 

I have just recently purchased a 3D resin printer but have yet to produce a finished product with it.  I suppose there will be a significant learning curve ahead of me but I am looking forward to the challenge.  Looks like you have done a masterful job of working out some of the kinks with your project.

Stuart

Peter_T1958

Hmmm, a new computer isn't within my budget at the moment, but one indicator that an upgrade is inevitable might be the fact that whether I select objects and then the operation neither the other way: the process it is not noticeable faster  :-\ 
Thanks anyway for your help!

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on April 21, 2023, 06:52:20 AMHmmm, a new computer isn't within my budget at the moment, but one indicator that an upgrade is inevitable might be the fact that whether I select objects and then the operation neither the other way: the process it is not noticeable faster  :-\ 
Thanks anyway for your help!

It's a problem I suspect most digital modellers suffer. I certainly have, and a computer upgrade will more than likely help a lot. However, my machine is not especially high powered.  It is typically possible to keep files within practical operating limits - leaving resource hungry steps until the final output stage.  Anything that contains many data points will need to be loaded in one go and will typically slow things down far more than a number of smaller objects with the same number of points in total.  After all this problem is not unique to model makers and the software will generally have means to work with limited resources.

I don't think the truck should require outrageous resources.  But if you've modelled the radiator core (for example) in high resolution then you may have made life difficult for yourself. You probably don't need to compromise the model quality to deal with such things, but may need to alter how you manage them.

Need to fix the spelling in your Da Vinci quote too, unless he wrote with a lisp :-)
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com