• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Truck built to honor Chester Fesmire

Started by Rich Wolfanger, January 23, 2019, 11:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Wolfanger

I am building a diorama, (on another forum), to honor both of our dearly departed friends, Frederic' Testard and Chester Fesmire.

In this post, I am showing a truck that is built from one of Chester's fondest kits, the Russian Zis5 military truck in HO scale.

All parts on the winch/crane carriage on the back are made from wood, styrene and wire, minus the chain. I used 3/32" wood channel to make the steel parts and two styrene strips toward the back (lift rods). This build was a little difficult for me, as far as being small parts, but I got through it ok. This will be placed near a structure that I will be adding to the diorama... and Oh?... there will be no kits for this at all!  Don't even think about it!

Rich

mabloodhound

Chester would be proud.  Very well done.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

TRAINS1941

Nice job Rich.  Hopefully you'll post the other build here to!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Rich Wolfanger

Thanks you all for the comments on my truck.  Dave, Jerry and Ray.
In real life here at home, there is no dust like in the pictures.
Funny how a picture is different though.
I will post the final diorama pictures, but not the step by step thread like on the Railroad Line forums.

Rich

Chuck Doan

Agreed, Chester would have liked this. Very nice job.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Rich Wolfanger

WOW, Chuck Doan !! Thank you very much for the great comment and for following my build.

Just when I was thinking it isn't a great paint job, and it dosen't look as good as your truck.

I didn't want to make it appear like your truck, just similar.

Rcih

Rich Wolfanger

Hello folks... I have completed my tribute diorama to honor Chester Fesmire and Frederic' Testard on the Railroad Line Forum.

I am sure that you all have seen the fabulous work of Chuck Doan.  Chuck, if you're out there... what intrigues me the most of your modeling is your ability to recapture prototypical environments in scale form exactly as it is viewed in real life.  Although I have modeled a structure similar to yours, I am sure that I  have been inspired by your modeling more than having the ability to do what you have done, especially in my HO scale.

The garage is Chester Fesmire's sideline job when he isn't making furniture. 

Rich Wolfanger

The Pawn Shop is Frederic Testard's second life hobby.

Rich Wolfanger

The red shed between the two buildings, is my rendition of Frederic's red shed that he made as part of Dave's Corner diorama. 

Rich Wolfanger

Frederic' traded the diorama he built to Troels Kirk (Coast Line RR) a Swedish modeler and professional artist, for a painting of a portion on his layout of a snow shed scene. (of which, one can see that someone has "pawned" the painting, as shown in the front window of Frederic's..in the fourth posted picture above) 

Here's another picture of the garage junkyard.

Rich Wolfanger

The lower building under the red shed is for Chester to house a rusty vehicle while dismantling it for parts. (shown in the third picture above)

Here's a few pictures of the garage interior.

Rich Wolfanger

This is the last piture showing the interior from another angle.

I wish to say that in building this diorama, I could not think of anything other than Chester and Frederic', whom I know you all are missing to this day.
They both were exceptional modelers and will be missed for sure for many years to come.  Thanks for following my builds.

Rich

Bill Gill

Rich, Your tribute includes a lot of little touches for both Chester and Frederic that make it not only a really good looking diorama, but also a very personal one.

TRAINS1941

Rich

A fine tribute to Chester & Frederic.

Very well done on the buildings and the details.  Especially in HO scale.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin