• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Ed, that Coca-Cola truck looks like they used roulette wheels.

Ray Dunakin

Awesome Coke truck! Looks like it would be pretty easy to build, especially since there are no tricky spoked wheels to fuss with.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

The reason the wheels look like that is because the truck is going very fast....Allan

Ray Dunakin

Those sure are some beautiful old relics!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Something quite different and unusual: Logging dam construction in the Carpathians (South Ukraine)

Love the different wood colors!

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Peter, that's some interesting and impressive structure ... is it still existing

I always thought the subject of 'gas station in decay' was an rather american symptom. Today I found that some 40 kilometers away from Wiesbaden/Germany in a very rural area:

A guy came out to ask what I was doing there (well, taking pictures from the public street) and he then told me that he's going to knock the structure down soon ... please excuse the sloppy shots.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Here's a link to a couple photos (inside & out) of an abandoned part of the Orient Express sitting in Belgium since its last run in 2009 - lots of rust
http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-orient-express-train-urban-exploration-brian-belgium/

Allan G

WOW!!! These photos almost look unreal. Fantastic....thanks for posting.....Allan

finescalerr

Those images show the way I feel inside and out! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

It's last run was only seven years ago, and it's decayed that badly already? What'd they do, store it in brine??

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Ray, That's what I was wondering too. Anybody have more or better information on this situation?

Ray Dunakin

Well, from what I've been able to find out so far, apparently that "last run" refers to the Orient Express in general, not this specific piece of rolling stock.

Ray Dunakin's World

mabloodhound

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on August 09, 2016, 10:27:50 PM
Well, from what I've been able to find out so far, apparently that "last run" refers to the Orient Express in general, not this specific piece of rolling stock.

From a comment on the page it says that is just an old Belgian train....not the Orient Express.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Gill

A peek at Wikipedia and a couple other sites indicated that the name "Orient Express" or slight variants, was used concurrently for several different routes and that the route and rolling stock changed frequently, that it stopped serving Istanbul in 1977 and that the last Paris to Vienna train was in 2007. The route was shortened again and the last train ran in 2009 and the route was removed from European timetables.

The original link with the photos above said:
"There are only a couple of these beauties left in the world. One, for example, was repurposed into hotel suites in Venice-Simplon Orient Express. The other, the one you'll see in the pictures below, stands dormant in Belgium, untouched from its last trip in December of 2009."
That is confusing and probably not correct. That just does not look like only seven years of decay.

The Venice-Simplon (now Belmond) Orient Express currently operates a weekly luxury train between Venice and London using restored 1920-30s carriages, but I don't think the carriages are from an older Orient Express.