• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

This is quite interesting
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

NE Brownstone

Ed, nice find.  Just when you think you've seen about every weird-arse contraption ever built, due to internet and this site, someone always finds another.  I'm beginning to think that if you free-lance some gizmobile, you will eventually find a (dare I say prototype) original full size gizmobile. 

I'd like to know what the small belt that runs around the array of idler pulleys actually does. 
Russ
The other, other Russ

Wesleybeks

Heres one for Marc.

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Wesleybeks on July 22, 2013, 08:44:14 AM
Heres one for Marc.

Wow. That is just all kinds of funky. Are the center wheels there to prevent getting stuck going over bumps??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

narrowgauger

I think the continuous belt running over the small idler wheels is in effect the suspension to the tracks.  The belt running over the idler wheels (top & bottom) is continuous and under tension.  Therefore when the running pulley directly above the belt is forced upwards, the belt tightens further due to the pressure of the fixed pulley above thus bringing the lower pulley back in line etc.

also interesting to note that the caterpillar tracks (main belts) appear to be friction drive from the original car rear axles via the 2 big wheels at the rear.  Being totally smooth belts it would be interesting to see this monster climb gradients.

free subscription to the digital version of next year's magazine for the first scratch built model on the forum.

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

marc_reusser

Some wear and tear...and pigeon waste. (Shot while running around town today. "Big 6 Market" near McArthur Park, Los Angeles.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Russ can keep his thong bikini clad floozies...I will take these please.

M-Works

eTraxx

If she (assuming it's a she) .. and dressed in a thong .. would Russ hit it? :/

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Sure, why not? Cute! -- ssuR

mabloodhound

And if "IT" ever gets to be 80 years old, imagine what it would look like  ???
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Marc988

Interesting pump I found during my holiday in France.

Marc988

and a close up of the pump;

Don

Quote from: narrowgauger on July 24, 2013, 03:51:02 PM
I think the continuous belt running over the small idler wheels is in effect the suspension to the tracks.  The belt running over the idler wheels (top & bottom) is continuous and under tension.  Therefore when the running pulley directly above the belt is forced upwards, the belt tightens further due to the pressure of the fixed pulley above thus bringing the lower pulley back in line etc.

also interesting to note that the caterpillar tracks (main belts) appear to be friction drive from the original car rear axles via the 2 big wheels at the rear.  Being totally smooth belts it would be interesting to see this monster climb gradients.

free subscription to the digital version of next year's magazine for the first scratch built model on the forum.

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

Yes I agree the cables running over the small idler pulleys is the units suspension system and keeps the chassis from collapsing down on to the main belt. Hydraulic shock absorbers did not come into use at least in the US until Ford introduced them in 1927 or so and they were not in general use even on expensive high end cars until the mid 1930's. So the cable were some engineers idea of cutting edge. Which back then and for this mule it probably was.
It looks like the big belt has a step on its outer edges and the pulleys all have flanges to match. I guess they thought that this would hold the assembly together and in a straight line. Dubious at best...
The dark straps that hang down from the main chassis and loop around the idler axles are most likely canvas limiter straps. This would have been normal suspension practice for the time. I am guessing that this vehicle was a "White" (radiator badge) from the late teens or early 1920's?  As the engine is in front it would would have some very long chains or if new enough a long drive shaft arrangement post clutch assembly to get the power to the rear axle. It would be interesting to find out more of the history of this vehicle as it could very well have been a test bed for a number of ideas such as the long rubberized belt, the suspension system, troop transport, etc.
Don