• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Quote from: Noel Crawford on May 29, 2011, 01:10:50 PM
Thanks Ed. It came thourgh this time. Brings back lots of memories. I was stationed at Tripler AMC from 1969-71. Got all over the place. Lots of familiar buildings in the vid. I even drove around Kahnia Point with a 65 Merc. Cougar following the old Ohau Railway and Land Co. right of way. Can't do that now.
Noel
We may have crossed paths there briefly in 1971. Back in those long gone times .. the only way the passenger jets .. 727 I think .. made the jump across to Asia was a one jump from the Alaska to Japan .. or stop and refuel in route. We stopped in Hawaii one time for refueling.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

mad gerald

G'evening all,

just thought this could be of interest - was only in doubt if it would fit better in "Wagons" oder "Photo of the Day" ... well, here it is:

Some wagons and a threshing machine "Standardwerk Hannover" from approx. 1935, manufactured by Standardwerk W. Schulze, Hannover (Germany):

Bild 11-0020

Just did some research today regarding the old Uhlenbuettlel mill (Gruetzmuehle) dated 1841 at the Museumsdorf Volksdorf, a kinda "open air museum", arranged as a very small village, where old farmhouses are kept as "exhibits", the oldest one dated 1624 -an excellent place for researching concerning framework and old farming equipment.

The old Uhlenbuettel mill, which was/is horse-capstan driven ...

Bild 11-0021

W.P. Rayner

Another good weathering & sign reference shot from Shorpy... this one by Walker Evans, taken in Selma, Alabama in January 1936. Lots of good detail worth studying here.

Craig:  check out the right edge of the photo...

Paul

Chuck Doan

I like the tar patching along the edge of the roll roofing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Looks like it has Chuck's name all over it.  The beloved gas pump hiding on the side of the picture.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

eTraxx

Shorpy >> New Tontine: 1900 ... New Haven, Connecticut, early 1900s. "New Tontine Hotel, Church and Court streets."

on the left side of the photo at the street corner is a telephone pole and hanging off of a cable over the street is a light. Amazing to me the complexity .. wires ... pulley etc.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Chris

Good lord !!!
remembering me all the bulbs in the old Sprague Thomson metro in Paris, in each cars,
impossible today to have this everything will be broke  ::)
Welcome to Wherever You Are!

DaKra

Another interesting artifact in that photo is the sign over the hotel door.  Its an electrically illuminated sign of a type that pre-dates neon.  Just a light box, with a reverse painted glass letter panel.  Similar to the plastic light up store signs of today.

Here is one that still exists.   

marc_reusser

Small simple building to model.  Intersting to see the concrete sidewalk and curb in this period, and setting.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Oh crap ... I have some screen doors made by Vector Cut that match the one on the Long Bell Lumber Co.  Guess it's time to start another unfinished project!  ;D   (No, no, no ... not really)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

That reminds me: My sister-in-law gave us some "boutique" Lipton teas of various flavors, like "white tea with blueberries" and "vanilla expectorant" or whatever. Not the traditional stuff in a paper tea bag but bizarre flavors in a new kind of nylon tea bag. Jerry Lawrence ("Younger" on this forum) seems to have used it effectively for screening on a 1:48 or 1:32 structure. After looking closely at the tea bags, it does indeed seem a good modeling material. Dump the tea (unless you like it) and save the bag material. You might find it useful. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Unc

Have you figured out what to tell the wife when she goes for a cup of tea :o

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on June 07, 2011, 01:20:46 AM
That reminds me: My sister-in-law gave us some "boutique" Lipton teas of various flavors, like "white tea with blueberries" and "vanilla expectorant" or whatever. Not the traditional stuff in a paper tea bag but bizarre flavors in a new kind of nylon tea bag. Jerry Lawrence ("Younger" on this forum) seems to have used it effectively for screening on a 1:48 or 1:32 structure. After looking closely at the tea bags, it does indeed seem a good modeling material. Dump the tea (unless you like it) and save the bag material. You might find it useful. -- Russ

No , don't dump the tea . Use it for vegetation  or leaf mould etc etc . Shame on you Mr. R for advocating the waste of a precious resource , I think maybe you should leave the comfort of your armchair and make your way to one of the many corners in this establishment and reflect upon what you have said . But before you do that you must brew up some of the tea you were about to throw away and drink it whilst you are in the corner . And you are not allowed to expectorate it out ,because the floor has just been polished ,

Nick

Chuck Doan

Isn't tea made for dumping into the sea? Instant party!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

While I wholeheartedly agree with Chuck, I must clarify my unfortunate choice of words and your narrow interpretation of them: By "dump" I did not necessarily mean "throw away unbrewed leaves". Once could use the bag to make tea, then either throw away the remnants or use them for scenery.

Nonetheless I feel like that politician caught sending suggestive photos to college girls and will stand in the corner as a gesture of goodwill. (As long as one of those beautiful college girls, in a thong bikini, will stand there with me.)

ssuR