• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Did they have bug zappers in 1955?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

From the web, FWIW;

These bug zappers use light to lure insects and then kill them by electrocution.

These bug zappers were first invented by William F. Folmer and Harrison L. Chapin in 1934. Separately, Dr. W.B. Herms also work on an invention of his own during this time. Both teams came up with similar results: a fly trapping device that used a piece of meat to lure flies inside the hollow path and the electrocute them. The modern design of bug zappers is of similar elements with the original one; with some adjustments of course.

In the modern day electric bug zapper, fluorescent lamps that emit ultraviolet light are used to attract insects. This is concealed behind grid like grounded metal bars that would kill any insect that would come in contact with the bars.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

Hmmm.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

eTraxx

That's crazy funny .. and wrong
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

chester

True Ed, that hose is way too dirty.

Ray Dunakin

LOL!

I wonder if the "sterilizing solution" is not for pets, or the butt hose?

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Here's a website featuring gas stations in Texas:

http://www.texasescapes.com/Texas_architecture/TexasGasStations.htm

Unfortunately most of the images are not very big. Here are a couple samples:

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

I just stumbled across this pic, love the textures and peeled paint!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Though this VERY interesting for those modeling the period and earlier ..
-----
Here's a Great video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945. Take a look at this video-absolutely fabulous! Notice the cars and jeeps, youth. The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest are Army or Marine. How young and brave they all were to do what they did.

This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy Durante singing, "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too) This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.
Check out the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome film.  

Click here for the video: http://vimeo.com/5645171
Ed Traxler

W.P. Rayner

Yet another excellent image from Shorpy. This by John Vachon in July 1940 at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The pumps and their crown globes are particularly interesting.

Paul

mabloodhound

Those crown globes would cost a fortune toady, if you could even find them.
Nice photo.   My first car wasn't even made then ('46 Ford Conv.).
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Here's a snappy I took for all you lovers of rusted through corrugated metal.

marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Noel Crawford

Hello eTraxx,
  Been trying to view the Vimeo vid 5645171   No luck. coming up not found
Thanks
Noel

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Noel Crawford

Thanks Ed. It came thourgh this time. Brings back lots of memories. I was stationed at Tripler AMC from 1969-71. Got all over the place. Lots of familiar buildings in the vid. I even drove around Kahnia Point with a 65 Merc. Cougar following the old Ohau Railway and Land Co. right of way. Can't do that now.
Noel