• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Did you notice this guy?

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

eTraxx

Just this little scene here has so much going on ...

Ed Traxler

chester

Not too much in the way of privacy here.

mabloodhound

I came across this gem to model that I'm sure doesn't have anything prototypical.

From the NYPL digital collection of Bernice Abbott http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchresult.cfm?parent_id=100160&word=

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Curious about the USS Illinois designation .. since as far as I knew, that is reserved for battleships ..

http://www.bobhenneman.info/Illinois.htm

QuoteUSS Illinois was laid down in 1897, as one of a class of three battleship. These vessels were the first US battleships to have decent seagoing qualities, because of the weight saved by omitting the intermediate battery. The US Navy had determined that the intermediate guns achieved little other than complicating ammunition supply, so the secondary guns were increased to 6" and the 8" guns were eliminated. This class of ships was also the first to abandon the old-style round turrets, and had unique side by side funnels, a result of the placement of the boilers back to back along the center of the ship to ease coal supply from the bunkers. Known for their excellent steaming qualities, good seakeeping, and stability as gun platforms, these ships were well liked in US service.

USS Illinois was part of the Great White Fleet, and was modified in 1912 with cage main masts and new boilers. She was placed in reserve that same year, but was used for Midshipman's training cruises in 1913 and 1914. Inactive during WWI due to her age, she was used as an accommodation ship from 1917 to 1919, then placed in reserve for the last time. In 1921 loaned to the New York State Naval Militia as a floating armory. In 1924 she she was rendered incapable of further military service, designated as a Miscellaneous Unclassified Auxiliary, and housed over for use as an accommodation ship. She served in this capacity until WWII, being given the designation IX-15 in January 1941. At that same time she was renamed Prairie State, to free up the name Illinois for a new Iowa Class battleship, which was cancelled before completion. During World War II she served as a U. S. Naval Reserve Midshipmen Training School at New York. Following the war, she was again loaned to the State as quarters for a Naval Reserve unit until December 31, 1956.

Early in 1956 a survey of the vessel was done to determine if the state wished to retain the vessel past the end of that year. She old ship, not having been drydocked in over 30 years, was found to be in decent shape, but the expense of repairs was more than the state wanted to pay. The Navy declined her return, and the ship was sold for scrap on May 18, 1956, to the Bethlehem Steel Co. She was towed to Baltimore and broken up after over 50 years of service.

Wikipedia has photos of both as she was as a battleship and as the floating armory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Illinois_(BB-7)
Ed Traxler

chester

Certainly a daunting modeling project. But that little "captains barge" would be a nifty project.

Ray Dunakin

Now that's a houseboat!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SandiaPaul

I have seen a lot of names for boats, but I don't think I have have ever seen STYX as a name!
Paul
Paul

Chuck Doan

That's interesting. Embarrasing way for a battleship to end up though.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Yeah .. but she had a good run .. 1897 to 1957.
Ed Traxler

Junior

If I hadnĀ“t already started a new project this would have been perfect...... ;D. Maybe someone else will give it a try ???.

Anders ;D

Ray Dunakin

Very cool place! I'm saving that one for future reference.

I wonder what the two cylindrical objects are on either side of the front of the building? They look like lighted barber poles, but seem to be missing the stripes.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Interesting variety of things to look at in hi-res (as ususal)

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10376

What's the railcar at right-center?
Ed Traxler

marklayton

Interesting comment in the photo caption, about 'Swede' collecting paychecks and dolling out money.  Reminds me of an elderly Sonar engineer who mentored me when I first started working.  His grandfather had been a wealthy coal mine owner in Kentucky.  My mentor recalled life in the company town back in the 1930s.  The company paid the workers half in cash, half in script good at the company store.  The reason, he claimed, was to protect the miners' families.  The Irish miners were evidently heavy drinkers, and from experience, his grandfather found that if pay was all cash, the families would go hungry, leaving the mining company to feed the wives and kids.  Hence half in script.  The company made it clear that moonshiners had better never come to the company store with script.  Apparently that warning would be forgotten over time, and then a moonshiner would start accepting script from the miners.  When the moonshiner came to spend the script, the mine guards would remove him from the store, and soon after his body would be found at his still.  The word got out, and the problem of miners spending script on booze would stop...for a few years.  Apparently a wealthy mine owner could get away with whatever it took to keep order in town!

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

marc_reusser

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 29, 2011, 05:22:50 PM
Very cool place! I'm saving that one for future reference.

I wonder what the two cylindrical objects are on either side of the front of the building? They look like lighted barber poles, but seem to be missing the stripes.

Bug zappers?

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works