• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLIAXTEP

Here is an interesting Photo of a narrow gauge Porter 0-6-0t around the turn of the century in Russia, Irinovskaya UZD ("Irinovskaya" narrow gauge railroad) at "Ryabovo" station. I got this image somewhere off the internet, but don't remember where. Apart from the 2 additional headlights, and stack extension added to the standard variant to clear the carriage roofs it seems identical to the US counterparts.

Alex

DaKra

One for all you fans of antlers.  From Shorpy today ... look closely.   :)

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10295

Rasputen

Was that some sort of common practice?  I have never seen a deer head mounted outside.  And what is on the tips of the antlers???

eTraxx

I was about to ask the same thing ..
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

No, not common at all, but I fear this photo will only encourage the antler crowd to cease limiting themselves to rolling stock.   Looks like some wag climbed out the window and put his empty gin bottles on the tips.   

Dave

eTraxx

I assume he had very long arms! :D
Ed Traxler

DaKra

After consuming the contents, climbing out that window and stepping on the cast iron deer head to put the empties on the antlers probably didn't seem like such a bad idea.  :o 

chester

eTraxx

Quote from: DaKra on April 12, 2011, 12:03:54 PM
After consuming the contents, climbing out that window and stepping on the cast iron deer head to put the empties on the antlers probably didn't seem like such a bad idea.  :o 

Didn't think about Harold Loyd. WELL within his capabilities.
Ed Traxler

NORCALLOGGER

Looks to me like the antlers are supposed to represent an Elk not a Deer.
Is that building an Elk's Lodge?
However I will admit that that is the strangest looking Elk's head I have ever seen.
Is it cast in bronze or some other material?
Later
Rick

W.P. Rayner

Those look like light bulbs on the end of each antler, which makes it all the more strange. You couldn't do that today, someone would climb up there and steal it...

Paul

DaKra

Have to agree with Paul, those are light bulbs.   It just makes more sense than gin bottles!  

Dave

Ray Dunakin

They look like bottles to me.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mabloodhound

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on April 12, 2011, 06:45:49 PM
Looks to me like the antlers are supposed to represent an Elk not a Deer.
Is that building an Elk's Lodge?

Rick

That is an Elk from the Elks Lodge.   
I have an Elk members pin from my grandfather who was a member in Iowa circa 1920 and that is exactly the same shape and detail.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 13, 2011, 08:17:22 AM
They look like bottles to me.

That's an old traditional way of making Elk-Berry wine ... you have to put the bottles on the antlers before the elk berries bloom, so the ... oh wait ... I think that's pear wine and you're not supposed to eat the elk berries ... my bad.  :)
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com