• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector Bell

The caravan in the picture with the Bentley is an Eccles, circa 1920s.
I've just knocked one up for a critter competition in another place.  It has an Austin Seven Ruby front and is self powered with some Japanese thing I found in a drawer.
Just a bit of fun for Lantern Yard, yes it's still in existence and getting done now I have some space at last.

Martin

gnichols

Martin,
  An Eccles, eh?  Amazing someone can identify these old gizmos.  Any chance plans for something like this or other caravans made in earlier decades are available?  Just wondering, Gary

Hector Bell

Gary, Gawd, now you're asking!  Plans for old 'vans, hmm.

I made mine as a complete guess, safe in the knowledge that nobody would say me nay!

Interesting idea.  The classic car club I belong to has a strong vintage caravan element and in fact organised a record attempt recently for the greatest number of vintage caravans in one place for one day and night.  got the British, but not world record.
I'll see if I can find out what they have in the way of caravans of that era.  By the early thirties, the caravan had gone from essentially a lighter weight showmans' living van to a more aerodynamic MUCH lighter weight aluminium thing with lots of curves. Single radius curves as ally isn't too persuadable, unless you're doing the Airflow type cigar tubes beloved of the American scene, but they were never popular in Britain.  Don't know why.  I went to a concert in Hanover once at the Water Works to see Yes and the bar and burger stall were Airflows INSIDE the hall!
(My wife and I were 10 feet from Ian Anderson and Chris Squire!)

If I can find an Eccles or similar, I will measure it and do some drawings.  Something to do when the workshop (another caravan!) is too cold and the telly is crap (as normal!)

Cheers,
Martin
(President of the Trailer Trash Preservation Society)

eTraxx

The Railroad Line Forums has a thread - "A Tribute to Brian Nolan". On the 5th page of the thread there are some photos of Brian from Greenfield Village, not far from the 2005 NNGC in Detroit. One of them the people in the photo are identified ...

QuoteThe picture taken at lunch is from L to R: Jon Addison, Brian, Sharon (Brian's then girlfriend also referred to as the "Lovely Miss"), Russ Reinberg (Uncle Russ, owner of Westlake Publishing) and his girlfriend whose name I don't know.

Surely that's wrong. Could that be Russ' grandson?
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

SandiaPaul

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Not a photo, but a video...

Here's some video I shot on Sunday, of the real, 0-4-0 steam train of the Poway Midlands Railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlW5NoHdzE

This was taken during our club's big annual picnic, which was fun despite the fact that it drizzled all day. The Poway Midlands RR is a former private railroad that now runs around a park in the city of Poway, CA. It runs on 42" gauge track.

Enjoy!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Ray,
Some great shots of a "cute" little locomotive.
Thanks for sharing them.
Did the locals know the train was running?  Didn't seem to be many riders or observers.
Later
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on October 19, 2010, 04:05:11 PM
Ray,
Some great shots of a "cute" little locomotive.
Thanks for sharing them.
Did the locals know the train was running?  Didn't seem to be many riders or observers.
Later
Rick

The rain kept a lot of the local folks away. I think most of the club members were content to sit under the trees or umbrellas and just watch it go by.

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Hi all,
I know that railroad subjects don't seem to be in favor on this thread but since Ray had nerve enough to post something  :) ;) I thought I would give it a try.

Here is a picture from an old standard gauge line in the area that I have been doing some research on over the years.  To me, it is just something that needs to be modeled and one of these dayssssss.
Later
Rick.

RoughboyModelworks

Nice shot Rick... lot of atmosphere and wonderful details. Actually it's too bad there are so many crew members blocking details of the hoist but they certainly add a lot of character to the shot.

Paul

finescalerr

I'm glad you posted a photo of a railroad subject. Good photo of a good subject. -- Russ

gnichols

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 19, 2010, 09:04:09 AM
Not a photo, but a video...

Here's some video I shot on Sunday, of the real, 0-4-0 steam train of the Poway Midlands Railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlW5NoHdzE

This was taken during our club's big annual picnic, which was fun despite the fact that it drizzled all day. The Poway Midlands RR is a former private railroad that now runs around a park in the city of Poway, CA. It runs on 42" gauge track.

Enjoy!

Ray,
  So, you live in the SD area?  I was a member of the SDGRS back in the early 1990s when stationed at 32nd st and Coronado.  I still know some of those guys....  But for some reason I never knew this scenic line was in Poway.  Duh.  Gary

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: gnichols on October 20, 2010, 03:24:27 AM
So, you live in the SD area?  I was a member of the SDGRS back in the early 1990s when stationed at 32nd st and Coronado.  I still know some of those guys....  But for some reason I never knew this scenic line was in Poway. 

Yep, I'm in San Diego, just west of Miramar MCAS. I never knew about the Poway Midlands RR either until we started going to the club picnics there in 2007.

Ray Dunakin's World

gnichols

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 20, 2010, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: gnichols on October 20, 2010, 03:24:27 AM
So, you live in the SD area?  I was a member of the SDGRS back in the early 1990s when stationed at 32nd st and Coronado.  I still know some of those guys....  But for some reason I never knew this scenic line was in Poway. 

Yep, I'm in San Diego, just west of Miramar MCAS. I never knew about the Poway Midlands RR either until we started going to the club picnics there in 2007.

Small world.  I spent quite a bit of time in hangar 1 at Miramar (with the now decommissioned VF-21).  My old bud there include Meador, Gibson, Treat, Pfulb and Rose (though I've not heard from Larry in years).  SD is undoubtedly the best place in the world for garden rairoading!  Sure miss it.  Gary

chester

Another rail photo