• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This image is nothing special...it shows the wreck of a 3-truck shay....howerver, I did like the handwritten account/story on back of the image. [text is as written]

"This is a little mixup I was in the 5th of April. This was the engin I fire reglar. We puled over the hill to far before setting brakes. 17 cars are piled up in the back ground. The engin is gone back to Lima O to be build over. The damage to eng and cars is $6,000"

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

I was amused by this image.

...nothing like trying to squeeze in some quick laundry before heading into the woods (or maybe into town).

Location & operation unknown. Loader in background is an AH&D.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

Think this is the last one for today....

...nothing special...I'm just a sucker for loader photos.  This one is hand noted on back as Hines Lumber Co., Delta (assume they mean Mississippi delta).......but I think the annotation is wrong...or they mean some other delta.....the fellows in the image are attired much more like Minnesota or such, their log loading style is also much more typical of that region.

This is a Decker style loader built by Clyde Iron Works.

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

On that last pic, could it be Alaska? Maybe Big Delta, or some other location on the Delta River?

Google shows a Hinds Lumber & RR once existed in Hines, OR -- perhaps another possible location for the photo?

http://www.trainweb.org/highdesertrails/onw.html

Edit:  Scratch all that, I found a copy of your photo which includes a caption! Here's the caption:

"The Clyde Iron Works built a standard and narrow gauge jammer. The one seen here is loading pine on a Russel
car near Delta (Bayfield County) in 1911 for the Edward Hines Lumber Company. The logs were being hauled to the
Hines mill in Iron River over trackage of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad."

I think that refers to the town of Delta, in Wisconsion.

The photo and caption are on page 32 of this pdf: 

http://www.mcmillanlibrary.org/rosholt/wi-logging-book/wilogging/images/00000006.pdf

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

gnichols

How about the world's first hot rod building?  Gary

chester

I'm sure there's a Peterbilt owner somewhere that would love to be able to use those stacks.

Here's something I passed on the highway today. Any ideas on what would have powered the big gear on the right in the first photo? And where/how would it have been positioned?

marc_reusser

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 22, 2010, 11:42:19 PM

Edit:  Scratch all that, I found a copy of your photo which includes a caption! Here's the caption:

"The Clyde Iron Works built a standard and narrow gauge jammer. The one seen here is loading pine on a Russel
car near Delta (Bayfield County) in 1911 for the Edward Hines Lumber Company. The logs were being hauled to the
Hines mill in Iron River over trackage of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad."

I think that refers to the town of Delta, in Wisconsion.

The photo and caption are on page 32 of this pdf: 

http://www.mcmillanlibrary.org/rosholt/wi-logging-book/wilogging/images/00000006.pdf

Ray,

Thanks for going to all the effort to find the info. Much apprectiated. Will save me time later down the line when I work on the logging site again.

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Chester, I love this machine.
Great inspiration.
Wish the days were 48h long...
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

I was doing a larger scan of the quarry image, and I noticed something very cool.....at least I thought it was....they are using one of the loco-cranes solely as motive power,....you can see it has had it's boom removed.

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Thanks, Dennis. It provides an interesting modelling option.
Frederic Testard

mabloodhound

Dennis,
That's right on.   A one lunger would certainly give enough power to turn that gear.
Now to get Chester to model it.  ;D
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 27, 2010, 02:02:21 PM
I was doing a larger scan of the quarry image, and I noticed something very cool.....at least I thought it was....they are using one of the loco-cranes solely as motive power,....you can see it has had it's boom removed.

That is cool! That whole scene would make such a great diorama.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

While digging through the wrong catalog looking for those mine hoists, I ran across these, that happens to relate to Chesters post:

M-Works