• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Figured you'd enjoy that one... Yes, unless my memory fails me they were somewhere along the old Route 66... the ones in the photo were near Cave City, KY. Evidently at one time there were 7 such Wigwam Villages: Horse Cave, KY; Cave City, KY; New Orleans, LA; Orlando, FL; Birmingham, AL; Holbrook, AZ and San Bernardino, CA. There were other variations: Geronimo's Castle in Bowie, AZ, Kramer's Wigwam in Browning, MT and The Tepees near Denver, CO ("Bring your Squaw up Sometime) was one of their advertising slogans. I'm not sure that approach would be well received these days...  ;D

Paul

marc_reusser

Sorry to change photo subject.....but I found these images while looking for some stuff for someone, and I remembered that Marty had asked if I had any more 'track gang/work" images. These are from an old 1918 booklet about the US Military Spruce Products Division (their logging operations during WWI)

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

One more....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Unc out for a spin.....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 12, 2010, 01:26:45 AM
Unc out for a spin.....
He shoulda turned left at Albuerque... or perhaps he's doing some hands-on research for the Logging Annual.

Returning briefly to the Wigwam Village subject. There's an excellent book on roadside architecture called: Gas, Food and Lodging: A Postcard Odyssey Through the Great American Roadside by John Baeder, published in 1982 by Abbeville Press. The book is still available through Amazon and well worth a look. It's full of excellent reproductions of photos and vintage postcards of roadside structures, from the sublime to the ridiculous. The author's web site also has many additional photos, though small, but in colour.

Paul

marc_reusser

Paul,

That is a meat book. I have it somewhere on my shelves. :-\

If I recall correctly...(most of the time at ASU is an alcoholic fog)...the ones there were known as "The Tempe Tee-Pees".

Marc

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 13, 2010, 12:57:26 AM

Paul,

That is a meat book. I have it somewhere on my shelves

Marc

As opposed to a vegetarian book ?

RoughboyModelworks

Unc's fantasies before there were thongs... ;D ;D

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

While browsing through the archives at Shorpy, came across this Russell Lee photograph from 1939 of the Royal Club in Mound Bayou, MS. At first I thought it an excellent weathering reference, but on further research determined that it is a colourized photo. Nonetheless I felt it worth posting as a general structure and sign reference shot. I wonder what the "—?" referred to...

Paul

lab-dad

My layout needs a book store.
I think I will do one named liked this;
Thanks Jerry!
-Marty

finescalerr

Marty, the corner awaits you. -- Russ

scrappy1

The length of the Santa Fe engines required special accomodation to fit on the turntable at Columbus OH.
(off of railpicture.net)

Ray Dunakin

That's bizarre! Never seen a turntable like that before.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

No room for error there... what is there, about 4" to the end of the rail? Looks like a logging railroad solution to the problem, certainly a lot less complicated and expensive than putting in a larger table.

Paul

mobilgas

Hey Paul,      Chuck got a gas station photo ;D how about me....i thought i was the Gas Station Dude around here?    Craig