• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Cool Brent.

Here's another Bloedel Donovan to go with that.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

And just to keep with the trucks from the other day...here is a truck turntable. Trucks came up the plank road to the loading area (roading donkey can be seen at left)....trurned around, loaded, then they headed back down the plank road.

This is near Oakville WA, c1910.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

Shades of "Fitzcaraldo"......

M-Works

lab-dad

"There's a boat headed right for the house"
what?
THERE"S A BOAT HEADED......
crunch :o :o

JohnP

That smashed boat would be cool as a shallow relief model behind river edge trees on a layout or diorama with a seedy sugar plantation railway theme.

John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 15, 2010, 03:20:29 AM
Shades of "Fitzcaraldo"......

Absolutely... I'd forgotten all about that movie until your post here. As I recall it was really quite wonderful... going to have to try and track down a copy now to watch it again.

Love the picture of the truck on the turntable... brilliant solution. There's a grain transfer facility here that I have to pass twice a day on my commute to and from work. There's a steady flow of tractor trailers going in and out of there, tying up traffic all day as they complete their 17-point turns. A modernized version of this idea would seem the ideal solution...

Paul

SARSn3.5

Quote from: Jerry Kitts on January 14, 2010, 02:54:03 PM
I have been lurking for months or is it years and this is the first thing that has really gotten me excited about posting.

Jerry

And from another lurker of long standing, may I express a similar sentiment? Thanks, Ron, for the drawings: thanks, Mark, for the history of the design.

Gavin Beaumont.

RoughboyModelworks

Here's a shot of interest... 15" gauge shooting brake on the Duke of Westminster's Eaton Hall Railway. I don't have a date yet but it appears to be early-to pre WWII 20th century. This would seem to be an excellent candidate for a caption contest...

Paul

finescalerr

Perhaps the caption should read, "Here's a shot of interest." I wonder what or whom the shotgun is aimed at and whether he already has pulled the trigger. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Looks like they are having a spot of peasant shooting . We used to do it all the time around here .

Of course , we aren't allowed to shoot peasants anymore due to EU legislation so we have to make do with pheasant shooting these days instead . Not nearly as much fun !

Sir NickO

Marc988

I thought it was some kind of "green" propulsion system well ahead of its time. Every time the guy shoots, the recoil forces the cart to move.
The reason it never went into production might be because they couldn't solve the bullit-issue. And possibly complaining peassants ?!

::) ;D  ;D  ;D

RoughboyModelworks

Received a little more info on the photo. Built for Eaton Hall Railway (no doubt to carry the nobs out for a spot of peasant shooting as Sir Nick has confessed), this shot was taken at Ravenglass on the Ravenglass & Eskdale, possibly in the 20s. There is some speculation that the gentlemen in the middle is Henry Greenly, locomotive designer and consulting engineer for the R&ER among several other accomplishments.

Paul

Chuck Doan

"That's the last time that driver will leave us stranded"

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

It reminds me of Rowland Emett's whimsical drawings... one below seems somewhat apropos...

Paul

scrappy1