• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Passenger car truck

Started by John McGuyer, November 28, 2008, 11:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Thought you guys might like to see the results of 1/20.3 3 ft. passenger car truck patterns I've been working on. This is the first pull and meant to check fit so has not been carefully deburred or finished.

John

John McGuyer

next

John McGuyer

and another

John McGuyer

number four

John McGuyer

Last and certainly least

TRAINS1941

John

Now that's what you call "SWEET".  Beautiful!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Beautiful. Am I correct in assuming you built the masters and did the casting on this?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

John McGuyer

Marc,

I'm a little old pattern maker. The truck is a new product for Ozark.

John

Krusty

John

That's a beautiful piece of pattern making. How did you go about making the journal covers?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

lab-dad

As a scratch builder I too would also like to see how you accomplished some of the more challenging aspects of the master. If you want to expand.
-Marty

John McGuyer

The journal covers are 1/32" sheet brass, cut out the basic shape and mill to finish. Spin a piece of brass rod to the right diameter and radius the edges. Drill a hole in the sheet portion and stick the rod through to get the right effect and solder. Then cut off the back side. There is also a small rib on the right back side that is just a piece of brass soldered on. One of the tricks I've found on a tiny piece like that is to make it too long so you have something to clamp, then cut it off after you solder it.

John

Krusty

Thanks John. It's good to see someone keeping the traditional skills alive.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

marc_reusser

John,

Thanks for the info on the pattern building process. Very interesting and impressive.

BTW........

On saturday, I got to see the beautifully built and painted 1/32 scale ATSF stock car you did. Great Job. Didn't know it was yours till just this evening.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Here's the model, John. Bob Uniack brought it over and I shot a series of photos. I suppose now is a good time to inform you that it will appear in next year's Modelers' Annual. Better think up a few things to say about it. -- Russ

John McGuyer

Bob Uniack has been one of my hero's in building model trains. His work is legendary. For him to take one of my models to a show in place of his own, is an ultimate complement to me. Now for you to include it in the premier builders annual just adds icing to my efforts. Thanks guys!

John