• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 EIMCO 401-216 "Whistling Pig"

Started by Bernhard, September 15, 2019, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Thanks for the Youtube video, but i am confused, which is normal, why does it sound like a combustion engine? it's Air driven, shouldn't it be noiseless or make hissing sounds? I've never seen a tank locomotive in use, only stationary,
Please advise
thanks
Mr. Potato Head
now in exile in Florida U.S.A
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

5thwheel

Very impressive.  Only improvement I could see is to make it so that his head turns with the direction of travel. I like the sound.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Krusty

Hi Bernhard

What did you use for the Fordson engine in the TACL loco? Enquiring minds need to know....
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Bernhard

Thanks for your interest!

Mr. Potato Head:
The locomotive is not driven by pistons/cylinders, as is the case in a steam locomotive. Rather, it is equipped with a five cylinder rotary air motor, which generates this characteristic exhaust noise.

5thweel:
The one with the head is a nice idea. Unfortunately the space is not enough for a corresponding drive.

Krusty:
The tractor is a resin kit from Plusmodel (No. 448). I will report about the construction in a separate topic.

Bernhard

Barney

Barney

IF it does not work the You Tube reference  - just enter Lea Bailey Narrow gauge Whistling pigs on Youtube there are quite a few different versions with very good sound
Barney

Barney

Bernhard a lovely bit of modelling and excellent step by step information with loads of prototype stuff
looking forward to more of your modelling
Barney

Krusty

QuoteThe tractor is a resin kit from Plusmodel (No. 448). I will report about the construction in a separate topic.

Thanks Bernhard.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Bernhard

Barney, thanks for sharing the link, and thanks to all for your appreciation.

Bernhard

I always find it interesting when I can learn something about the history of the prototypes for my models. So I would like to share the history of the Whistling Pig with you. The information comes from Lea Bailey Light Railway.

ManufacturerEIMCO Eastern Iron & Metal Corp., Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
TypeEimco 401
Serial No.401-216
Year of construction1968
DriveCompressed air, five cylinder Eimco Type 200 rotary air motor, 20 PS, with 2-speed transmission
Receiver filling pressure 7.5 bar (110 psi)
Working pressure 7.5 bar (110 psi)
Running distance with full charge approx. 500 m, or running time approx. 10 min.
Today's locationLea Bailey Light Railway, Mitcheldean, England

The critter was manufactured in 1968 at the Salt Lake City plant in the USA. He began his working life in Colorado and ended it at a mining company in British Columbia, which used it until 2012. It was then sold to the UK in 2015 and stored for possible use on a planned narrow-gauge railway in Isfield, Sussex. When this project seemed unlikely to progress, the critter was moved to the Lea Bailey Light Railway in May 2016 to make it operational again. After extensive overhaul work and a gauge change to 610 mm, the critter ran there again for the first time on 11 September 2016.
Of the more than 200 critters built, only 5 remain today. Whistling Pig is the only one outside the USA, and probably the only one that is still functional.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Barney on October 19, 2019, 10:08:34 AM
Whistling PIGS in action at the lea Bailey mine on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdBQDvTzr8
Barney

Funny thing, there was an advertisement at the beginning feature two Muppet pigs screaming!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World