• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Woolwich beast

Started by Les Tindall, June 14, 2020, 12:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Sorry about the intriguing title. My latest project is an 18inch gauge loco used on the Woolwich Arsenal in east London.  This strange thing (called "Lachesis" - that's a Greek religious word - had to google that one!) was the second internal combustion loco in the UK (and only the third in the world). It was an 0-4-0 built by Ruston in 1896 using an Ackroyd single cylinder nine-and-a-half h.p. oil-engine, the first of four (the others were 2-4-0's). They were somewhat underpowered and only lasted a few years (all were scrapped by 1920).  Very little information is available, just a few rather grainy photos, the only drawing (a side elevation) is full of inaccuracies. What looks like a vertical boiler at the front is in fact the cooling system.   Definitely a challenge.  I'll keep you informed of progress.  Scale is 16mm (1/19th).     
Les Tindall

Bill Gill

Les, that looks and sounds like  a fun challenge.
About your intriguing subject line, when I read the name "Lachesis", Loch Ness immediately came to mind > "Monster" rather than "beast" :)

finescalerr

By all means keep us posted on your progress. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Les, seem to remember Barney had a go at this one as well , in 1/24 ?

Think he gave up on it due to the frustration of trying to get anymore info ?
Gordon

5thwheel

Sometimes when you are lacking all the information you have take a wild guess and then fake it.   ;)
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Barney

This is as far as I got + a set of wheels and a bucket full of gears + a head ache
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Trying !!
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Getting there -I think
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Hope Les can work this one out Im already Thinking about having another go at this little beast
Barney
Just fiddling with the camera I think Im getting there -
Stuart McPherson

Les Tindall

Bill, I think there will be quite a bit of "faking" on this project - still I'm having fun (so far) and no one can check with the actual engine.
Barney, that's the side elevation that has the errors (positioning of suspension, linkage from the brake column, etc).
Working on the suspension at the moment so should have some progress pics next week.
Les

Barney

Les - yes I see what you mean - Not sure where I got that drawing- No wonder it give me a head ache  - still no one knows anything about it so it makes things easier
and keeping us happy is the important bit
Barney
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Even so, you guys have an unusual advantage: If you both plan to build a model you can help each other figure out what to correct and how best to fake what remains. It would be the first time on this forum that two guys wanted to build models of the same thing at about the same time. I, for one, would find the construction thread fascinating since you'd probably be consulting with each other all the way through. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

What an unusual beast, and a very interesting project!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Les Tindall

Progress is coming along quite rapidly.  The suspension is now complete all from styrene strip and rod.  It sits at an angle because of the "fore and back" movement the single cylinder, slow revving, large flywheel drive would produce. It would probably be like being on a ship in a rough sea!   If the springs were in the usual position the movement would produce considerable stresses in the metal and possibly shear any vertical supports.

The wheels (24mm dia 3D printed ones from the bits box) are just loosely slipped onto the axles, though not much will be seen of them as the loco frames are just 2 or 3 inches off the top of the rails at their lowest point.

Barney has been in touch and says he has found info on the complex gearing system, which will be a help.

Next stage is the cooling cylinder at the front.

Les

Les Tindall

The other side