• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

jewelers saw

Started by michael mott, May 27, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

The saw that I made was done with a scrap of rosewood for the handle it was turned on the lathe and then a flat milled across the work end to accept a piece of 1/4 inch thick brass.

A small 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch channel was milled parallel to the axis of the handle to accept the brass locking bar. A 4x40 thread was cut into the bar and a clearance through the horizontal frame bar. The domed allen head screw is used to clamp the 2 pieces of brass together thereby clamping the blade between

the frame member of steel is 1/4 x 1/4 inch heated and bent to create the open area of the frame it is clamped to the brass bar with a bridge of ebony and 2 4x40 allen head machine screws.

The top locking screw is a 4x40 allen head cap screw that squeezes the thinner section of the slotted end to the thicker part the slott is caut with a .010" slotting saw in the mill. The overall proportions were based on the regular jewelers saw.

As was pointed out in the earlier thread I could have replaced the thumb screws with some allen headed screws and it would have achieved the same results. I now have two saws so can have a coarse and a fine blade set without having to change blades.

Michael

lab-dad

Thanks Michael,
I hope to make one soon!
Marty

Lawton Maner

finescalerr

...And he even makes his own tools. And they are nicer than anything we could buy. Is this disgusting or what? I'm going to jump off a bridge. See ya later. -- Russ

greenie

Nice job on making the saw, but, got to ask this,  WHY make it ?

They are cheap as chips on the flea-bay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEWELERS-SAW-FRAME-4-HAND-TOOL-Made-IN-GERMANY-/190494213311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a5704bf&_uhb=1

I hope that all that weight of the brass, doesn't make you get a sore wrist when your using it.

regards  greenie 

greenie

Quote from: finescalerr on May 28, 2013, 12:36:21 AM
...And he even makes his own tools. And they are nicer than anything we could buy. Is this disgusting or what? I'm going to jump off a bridge. See ya later. -- Russ

What's wrong with making your own tools, sometimes you can't buy what you need, so there's no need to go jump of a bridge, who'd run this show if you went and did that ? :o

regards  greenie 

lab-dad

Can anyone tell me how to save this as a pdf?
I'd like to print it and save it so I can build one.
rather than buy some chinese crap.
-marty

mabloodhound

Quote from: lab-dad on May 28, 2013, 05:09:43 AM
Can anyone tell me how to save this as a pdf?

-marty

Marty,

You don't need a PDF.   A word document works fine and is easy.   First, highlight Michael's article, start at the bottom with his name and go to the top of the article only (hold down the left button on your mouse as you move up).
Now click the right button on the mouse and click on COPY (at the bottom).   Now open up a blank new TEXT page in MS Word or Open Office or similar.   After the blank page is open, click the right mouse button and click PASTE.   There it is.
You will have to resize the photos a bit by clicking them and grabbing a corner to move it in and make them slightly smaller.   Save it with a name you like in a folder and your done.   It's really easier than typing all of these instructions out.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Martin and others ..
I have a freeware PDF writer - CUtePDFWriter - once installed it appears as a printer. If you want a PDF you simply 'print' to Cute PDF. Works great.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

michael mott

Marty I sent you a personal message.

Greenie said
QuoteNice job on making the saw, but, got to ask this,  WHY make it ?

Greenie it is a good question. Sometimes the destination is not so critical for me as the journey. I actually already happen to have the saw you linked to along with several others. My saw feels good to me in my hands. one day when I am pushing up daisies my grandchildren will have a few unique items that you just cannot get on Ebay they are passed down.

Lawton thanks for the compliment.

Russ, no,no no please do not do that who would we have to make understated comments that push us to do better;~)

I did not do any drawings but just used the materials I had to hand, Ill do up a quick sketch and post it.

Michael

finescalerr

Okay, I'm back. Tried jumping off the bridge but somebody put up barricades and I had to postpone my dive.

About PDFs, use Ed's freeware or something similar. Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) has something called "Distiller". It's a "virtual printer" -- software that prints a file onto your hard drive. The patent or copyright must have expired on Distiller, or else other companies have found a different way of creating a PDF.

I prefer a PDF for anything with graphics and would encourage everyone to download the software (if you have a use for it). One very handy application is to print a CAD drawing (or Corel/Illustrator art) as a PDF so you can share it with people who don't have those programs.

Russ

marc_reusser

Lovely saw. I love when tools themselves are a worl of art. I have a question of curiosity though....why use Ebony for the samll bridge piece instead of brass, or some other metal?...purely aesthetic?...will it hold up as well over time/use/adjustments?

...re PDF...maybe its a Windows thing..or because I have Adobe Acrobat installed on all my PCs, but I have 2 buttons at the top, on my browser bar for creating PDFs...one is "select", which will convert to PDF whatever area(s)/secton(s) of a web page you want., the other is  "convert", which converts the entire web page to PDF (with functional links...that when activated/clicked while reading the PDF, will allow you the option of including those pages/images/etc....into the current PDF.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Lawton Maner

Michael:

Make Marty drool all over his workbench.  Go back this weekend and spot finish the brass and polish the wood and steel parts to a high shine. The upper blade clamp is function at its simplest which is lacking in most mass produced tools today. 

Marc - As for the ebony retainer, it probably was the right size to start with and it looks good there.  And if he'd used a brass part, the retaining screws would also have to be brass which might have meant a trip to the hardware store for a part not in the closet.