• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Google Books

Started by eTraxx, April 14, 2011, 04:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Found this today

Official Handbook of automobiles published in 1920. Full of pictures of the vehicles with data sheet for each. Sweet.

Example:

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

mabloodhound

Great find Ed.   As I model 1920, I find vehicles in 1:48 scale difficult to find.   
These photos give me a chance to pick a newer model and modify it to look like the catalog photo.
As always, I've saved the PDF to my HD.
Thanks
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Dave. Are you familiar with the Matchbox/Lensey 'Models of Yesteryear'? While they made them in all sorts of different scales, some are 'good nuff' for O scale. I found a website where someone has listed them by scale ..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.jones7317/public_html/yesteryears/scales.htm

Example ..

http://www.etraxx.com/wordpress_train/?page_id=2120
Ed Traxler

DaKra

Thanks Ed.  Real nice handbook, especially for the commercial vehicles, as they aren't as well documented as sedans.  The color information is pretty useful to know what the stock configuration was.    Some look like very interesting model projects too, not so many compound curves in this era. 

Malachi Constant

Great find, indeed!  Thanks ... and, it would be easy to loose many hours or days following all the interesting "related books" links that come up ... Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Thank you Ed. So often I am looking at prototypes that exist today and Lord knows how they have been altered in the restoration process. It's always helpful to find original documentation on vehicles (or anything for that matter) so thanks again, I just may break down and buy this book.

eTraxx

Chester. There is a PDF download link on the top right corner of the page
Ed Traxler

mabloodhound

Chester...NO Charge...FREE.... :o

Ed, yes I have that list but I'm really not happy with any of the 1:43 models,   just too big.    I do have some of those but wanted more of the oddball mfgrs. for the layout.
Dave Mason
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

Great resource, thanks Ed.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Yes, excellent resource Ed... thanks for posting. Google may not be the most popular entity round these parts (and with good reason) but they have made readily available a wide array of reference materials that would otherwise be difficult and expensive to obtain (even if they sometimes used under-trained monkeys to do their scanning...  ;))

Paul

eTraxx

If you goto the two pages that have the hand showing .. click the 'feedback' at the top and check the "Part of the page is unreadable" .. may get that fixed if enough people do so.
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

In the 1922 edition of Highways Green Book I found this photo. Wonder what OSHA would say about 'hitching a ride' these days?
Ed Traxler

mabloodhound

Quote from: eTraxx on April 15, 2011, 02:38:56 AM
If you goto the two pages that have the hand showing .. click the 'feedback' at the top and check the "Part of the page is unreadable" .. may get that fixed if enough people do so.

Actually, Ed, they caught that and re-did the two pages (following the hands) but just forgot to delete the hands pages.   So it's just a minor glitch, everything is all there.
Dave Mason

Gordon Ferguson

Would love to have a look at this but unfortunately Google UK does not have the links to the PDF, and I can't access Google USA.

If anybody is feeling bored any chance of sending me the PDF ?

e-mail address gfadvance@msn.com

Thanks
Gordon