• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wonderful New Fish Kit by Michael Fichtenmayer

Started by marc_reusser, August 24, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinerFortyNiner

Quote from: gin sot on November 09, 2010, 11:12:51 PM
QuoteAnother item in Dr. Marie's collection—a relief plan of the asylum—affords further testimony of the patience, perseverance and skill of which the insane are sometimes capable.

Hmmm...all a clever ploy to identify a weakness in the asylum's security, exploit it through a brilliant escape plan, only to return to the Westlake Publishing forum and blend in with the other...um...other modelers...   ;)
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

Gordon Ferguson

Morning my kit arrived safely this morning and when I  have had a chance to look closely at will post some additional comments .

The following info really applies only to people in the UK/EU who may have ordered this kit and is my observations only,  what you decide to do with the info I will leave to you

Import duty and Postal charges

Be aware that goods purchased and imported into the EU with a value of over £18 (approx. $28) are liable to VAT.  or goods imported as a gift from one private person to another private person to a value of over £40 (approx. $65 ) are/can be subject to Customs charges .

I my case the charges were £10.92 VAT + £8.00 Admin charges to the Post Office  total £18.92 ( approx $30)

Now due to an admin error these charges were not applied and as they say I got away with it !

Now I do pay my taxes and I don't try to avoid them so I am not condoning the admin error but the rest of you should be aware of the potential sting in the tail.     
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Along those lines, and perhaps some UK modelers will chime in ... but my UK customers seem to find it favorable if the customs form is marked "handicraft materials".  I'm not 100% clear on this ... either refers to hand-made goods or goods for producing hand-made items ... but seems to be an allowance for that which is more favorable than, say, "hobby products" or "model kits".  And, if my understanding of the term is more-or-less correct, it's still an accurate description (for things that Michael, myself and others produce) ... just one that's more favorable to the recipient.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

teejay99

I lucked out , too , on avoiding tarriffs , duty , taxes , what have you , on a kit sent to me here in Canada from Indiana ......I had it marked "gift" just for fun and it worked ! Atleast THIS time . Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket . ;D

Terry
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

FichtenFoo

What do you guys suggest for marking them next time to make it easier on you? I wasn't sure if there's be taxes, etc marked gift or merch... seems like there's tax on it either way.
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Hope this is okay to post. We started a Group Build for Fish Sub build-ups on my site. Trying to get as many builds in one place as possible to see the variety. Check it out and join in the sea-fairing fun there as well as over here. http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/
Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

Second Edition subs shipping soon! If you're on the list, check your email for the invoice I just sent out.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/fantastical-fish-shaped-submersible/
Chicks dig giant robots.

Mr Potato Head

Wooooo that was a trip~  That's some forum you have there! :o
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho