• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quadruped in 7/8ths scale

Started by michael mott, December 10, 2011, 05:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

That's great! Care to share exactly how you did the soldering?

Paul
Paul

michael mott

Thank you all, I will take some SBS pictures of the next wheel, the first one I got so engrossed in the process I forgot to take any pictures.

I did start with the spoked disk out of the rim, added the hub the one spoke at a time. then cleaned the assembly up before putting it back into the rim to solder it in place. I took a lot of time with the rim and let each joint cool enough so that I did not disturb the flange on the rim then worked at the opposite end of the spoke. Basically they were done in pairs.

Michael

michael mott

Sandy here is the SBS I used Duzall liquid flux 

applying flux with a small brush, while holding the rib down with a dental pick

The tool I use for scraping away surplus solder it is double ended and right and left handed.

After pushing the rim back over the spoked assembly supported by the spacing disks

ready to solder the spokes to the rim.

Michael

EZnKY

Very nice - thanks for the step by step.
I gotta get one of those scraper thingys...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ken Hamilton

.....beautiful....
Thanks for the SBS.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

SandiaPaul

Paul

finescalerr

Now that we see how easy it is, we're no longer impressed. Ho-hum. How very mediocre .... -- ssuR

Wesleybeks

Thanks for that SBS Michael. I would like to try my hand at soldering. Where would you suggest i buy a soldering iron and the necessary tools.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

michael mott

Thanks everyone, boy Russ you are a tough taskmaster ;)

Wesley, Depending on what it is that you want to solder there are many options, including all of the newer lead free solders.

I chose to purchase an electronic soldering station quite a few years ago (2006) and I am using an electronic component solder that i purchased at the same time as the Weller soldering station, the particular solder is Kester 66/44 which does contain lead. The Duzall flux capiliaries well and i have had this bottle for at least 15 years. I am sure that there are newer equivalents that the folk who are familiar with soldering up the brass etch kits will be much better informed than I am.

I just found the soldering tape that I had squirreled away so I might try it on something. I couldn't resist adding in the old copper Iron ::)

I know that there are some newer soft solders that melt at different Temps but I am not familiar with any of them, I might be able to do a better job of soldering if I had some better knowledge.

I know that my answer is not really that helpful, other than to say visit your local electronics shop or supplier and even Weller's website
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm

Michael

lab-dad

Not to hijack but FWIW;
I have a craftsman gun (dual wattage), a radioshack pencil (dual wattage)
And a MAP gas torch. Heat depends on thickness.
The secret to good soldering is FLUX and dont use too much solder.
Often all you need is what will stick to the tip of the gun.
I also find if I can position the pieces with weights the end result is much better.
-Marty

artizen

Because I work with crayons and ten thumbs my soldering technique has always been to hold the pieces with heavy metal weights so I still have two hands to hold the solder stick and the iron. This was inadvertently valuable when soldering up LEDs to resistors as the heavy metal weights disperse the heat so that my fumbling around trying to get solder to stick to itself and make a bond didn't fry the electric bits. I truly envy people who stayed awake in metal and woodworking classes at school. But I suppose I stayed awake during English and maths. Ho hum.

I always use flux after watching a 70+ (years old) modeller solder 0402 LEDs by hand using his secret hand made flux of scrapings of violin rosin and meths. Worked for me too (but not the 0402s though.)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

If you look at Michael's tool assortment you can guess why his solder joints are so clean: He knows what he is doing and has the right tool for each job. Even luck is no substitute for expertise! -- Russ

Wesleybeks

Thanks for te info Michael. Ill have a look around for more info and hopefully get some tools this weekend.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

michael mott

QuoteBecause I work with crayons and ten thumbs

C'mon Ian show what colours you are using at least!

Thanks Russ

Michael