• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Deck mounted steam winch?

Started by lab-dad, July 17, 2013, 05:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

My cousin in Washington State is scratch building a 1:24 model of a "Clyde Puffer"
A tug type vessel from Scotland used like a truck or lorrey in more modern times.
There was a mast & boom on the deck used to load & unload the goods stored in the hold.
The heavy lifting was done by a deck mounted steam winch with a single drum and two capstans.
I have a very poor rough drawing (it is totally missing the steam chest).

I am going to build the winch for him. (like I need more to do!)

Just wondering if any of you have some good images of such a device.
It really looks like the business end of a logging donkey.

Marty

jim s-w

There's several preserved ones but I believe only one steam powered one which is based on the Caledonian Canal. 

Fancy a holiday to Scotland?  ;)
Jim Smith-Wright

Gordon Ferguson

Marty, you would have got in serious trouble in some parts of the Clyde if you had referred to a "Puffer" as as a tug type vessel  ;D

I have various books on Puffers and should have, somewhere a pretty accurate drawing of the winch and associated bits ........ Give me a couple of days and I will dig the stuff out
Gordon

lab-dad

Yes! Jim, would love to go!

Thanks Gordon for not ratting me out!  ::)
I knew one of you guys would have better info!
Take your time.
-Marty

marc_reusser

I probably have diagrams or drawings of some ilk from the wronb side of the pond...and nothing to do with your Clyde, in my Clyde Iron Works catalogs. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

james_coldicott

Hi Marty,

I have only one pic of this type of thing from the maritime museum in San Fransisco....

does this look like the kind of thing?

Hope it helps

James

Scratchman

Here's a small winch located in Southern Utah.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

chester

Perhaps?

shropshire lad

I think I would just buy the kit ! http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/highlander.html
  I took a load of pictures of a couple of puffers when we were on holiday on the West Coast a few years ago . But I'm boogered if I can find them .
  Nick

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Good pictures.
Basically what I was thinking but nice to have reference.
Nick,
The ship is 50% built and the price is a little high just for the winch.
But now I have better pictures!
-Mj

lab-dad

After a long hiatus from modeling (The '54 got a whole new interior in leather) I have returned to the bench.
Thought some might like to see my efforts on the deck winch.
Since I have no real exact prototype to go on I am using lots of winches for reference.
I hope when complete it will look the part.

-Marty

finescalerr

I hope you have a primer that will stick to those gears. -- Russ

NORCALLOGGER

Been my experience paint won't stay on Nylon, have to use dye.

5thwheel

Probably after the fact but maybe these will help.

Bill

Deck winch on the SS Portland.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

SandiaPaul

About using dye, what I have done is to use RIT dye, you get an old pot mix up the dye and boil the parts in it, they come out really nice. Works on Nylon and Delrin, maybe other plastics, but I have not tried them.

Paul
Paul