• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Studio CG Modelling/Animation Project

Started by WP Rayner, May 25, 2019, 12:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WP Rayner

This is not the usual type of modelling that's presented on the forum, but I thought I'd share a few images from a CG animated short titled Melvin, currently in progress in the studio. It's essentially a short story about self-awareness and discovery, becoming the individual you want to be rather than remaining the anonymous stereotype that those around you expect you to be. First image is of Melvin himself, the main character.

MelvinConcept2Web.jpg

This next image is a work-in-progress opening shot of the city environment which will establish not only the physical nature of Melvin's world, but the emotional feel of the bulk of the story. Still a lot of detail work to do on the set, adding litter and so on.

MelvinCitySetWIP.jpg

The third image is the interior set, again with more litter detail to be added.

MelvinHallwaySet.jpg

Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Bill Gill

Hi, Welcome to the forums, you've got my interest. I want to see more.

Chris J

WP Rayner

Quote from: Bill Gill on May 25, 2019, 05:19:28 PM
Hi, Welcome to the forums, you've got my interest. I want to see more.

Thanks Bill, it's good to be here.

Paul
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

WP Rayner

Quote from: Chris J on May 26, 2019, 04:22:04 AM
What software do you use?

As with all tools, software used is determined by the task at hand. There are six separate applications being used at this point in the project, some of which are proprietary, and as such, I'm not at liberty to reveal any specifics.

Paul
Paul

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

WP Rayner

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on May 26, 2019, 01:25:53 PM
Beautiful renderings!

Thank you Ray!

Just had a glance through your website... didn't realize you were an illustrator. Your airbrush illustrations are very good. Are you still illustrating?

Paul
Paul

Dave Fischer

Paul-- I've been a fan of CG since its earliest stirrings and have bought more than a few not-so-hot movies because the backgrounds were so incredible. I certainly feel that computer rendering has a place here, and would love to see more of what you do. As an illustrator who was forced to learn to work on the computer back in 1996, I wonder if the same conversation still comes up-- a fellow-illustrator and I complained that we were doing better work than ever before, but in the end had nothing to hold or hang on the wall. Oh, well, that's where models come in...

And Ray-- I never got farther than the In-Ko-Pah, so never saw your illustration until just now. Very nice! I see a lot of Ray Gaedeke in your work. Do you know who he is? Studying his work on Lindberg covers when I was five years old sparked my interest in illustration!   DF

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: WP Rayner on May 27, 2019, 07:10:18 AM
Just had a glance through your website... didn't realize you were an illustrator. Your airbrush illustrations are very good. Are you still illustrating?

Thanks! No, I gave it up in the mid-90s when I started focusing more on game development.

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Dave Fischer on May 27, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
And Ray-- I never got farther than the In-Ko-Pah, so never saw your illustration until just now. Very nice! I see a lot of Ray Gaedeke in your work. Do you know who he is? Studying his work on Lindberg covers when I was five years old sparked my interest in illustration!   DF

Thanks! I'd never heard of him, though of course I've seen his work on model boxes many times in the past without ever realizing it. I just did a Google search and found a bit of info about him -- he was quite an interesting and talented guy.

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/ray-gaedke-–lindberg-line-box-top-illustrator-artist-twirler-and-entrepreneur/

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I built this one. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on May 27, 2019, 11:55:39 PM
I built this one. -- Russ

I have one of those in my stock pile... may be inspired one of these days to build it.
Paul

WP Rayner

Quote from: Dave Fischer on May 27, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
Paul-- I've been a fan of CG since its earliest stirrings and have bought more than a few not-so-hot movies because the backgrounds were so incredible. I certainly feel that computer rendering has a place here, and would love to see more of what you do. As an illustrator who was forced to learn to work on the computer back in 1996, I wonder if the same conversation still comes up-- a fellow-illustrator and I complained that we were doing better work than ever before, but in the end had nothing to hold or hang on the wall. Oh, well, that's where models come in...
DF
Thanks Dave... when I first started out with CG visualization, I used to feel the same way about it's transient nature, nothing to hold on to or hang on the wall. I printed out a few images, trying to come up with something that I felt was more tangible, but after years of doing commercial work, I've come to realize that the issue is no longer any concern to me. As long as the client is happy with the work, I'm satisfied. This animation project is a personal one and is radically different from my commercial work which I felt was getting a little stale and repetitive. This offers the opportunity to broaden my skill set and have a little fun at the same time... that is if unwrapping UVs can be considered fun!
Paul

Dave Fischer

Paul-- Sounds like we have all walked the same path regarding the transient, throw-away nature of contemporary graphics. A personal project gets you past the 90% mindset of commercial work, but not having a deadline enforcer can test your dedication! How long do you estimate your new project will take? Keep us informed of your progress-- I am finding this very exciting.   

Oh, and here's the Ray Gaedke cover I found SO inspiring as a kid. Why it couldn't have led to a more lucrative career I can't say...  DF

WP Rayner

Quote from: Dave Fischer on May 28, 2019, 12:16:12 PMPaul-- Sounds like we have all walked the same path regarding the transient, throw-away nature of contemporary graphics. A personal project gets you past the 90% mindset of commercial work, but not having a deadline enforcer can test your dedication! How long do you estimate your new project will take? Keep us informed of your progress-- I am finding this very exciting. 

Oh, and here's the Ray Gaedke cover I found SO inspiring as a kid. Why it couldn't have led to a more lucrative career I can't say...  DF

Well I'm not in any particular hurry on this project Dave, but I'm guessing two-three years to complete including rendering. Animation is a slow and pains-taking process. Spent this past week adding details to the city set, which I think for now, completes it. (If you right-click the image and open in a new tab, you'll get a larger view.) Probably be some changes when I plot the camera track through the scene. There are also changes and details to be added to the interior hallway set to tie it in more closely to the city set.

MelvinCitySet.jpg

Next step in the process is to remodel the main character derived from the concept. The geometry has to be reworked completely so that the character can be properly rigged for animation, plus I then have to model the second version that presents his story-line transformation.
Paul