• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Pat,
I looked high and low, even bought a book but could find no real "plans" or specs.
I did find a few "standards" so I based my model on those.
Also using available material sizes dictated some of the dimensions.
Most of my plans/drawings are done from photographs using known dimansions and working from there.
More soon, hopefully
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Scratchman on July 17, 2009, 10:01:46 PM
Marty, Check out the mining section.

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/photographs/

Wow, that's a great resource! i just spent some time browsing through the photos of business buildings, great reference not just for the buildings but also for period signage and for the many different types of businesses.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Are those corliss engines on page 9 and 23 in the mining section or are they something else.

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/photographs/

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

lab-dad

Theones on pg 9 & 23 look similar but I dont think they are from the actual corliss family.
Then again I dont know much.
The one on pg. 23 looks English or like ones I have seen being across the pond.
-Marty

Belg

Marty, progress is great even with out plans, that link sure has a wealth of old time photos. Thanks Pat

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks

Gorgeous work Marty...

Paul

lab-dad

Well after over two months off I finally got back to this.......
Made the molds for the foundations and cast them out of POP.

They are big honkin chunks of plaster!!!!

But I busted one of the valve shafts.....

Oh well.
-Marty.

marc_reusser

Beautiful brasswork.

Not sure about the POOP block on the left....the unprototypical rounded-off front edge/corners, sanding marks on the side, near the top, and what look like some kind of tool marks on the lower portion face, are not up to the same standards/quality as the machine.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

I agree with Marc..
To maintain the engine's quality, you should make castings like the real ones in correct casings made from timber.
You can even use grouting cement together with very fine sand.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Marty...

Whenever in a bind or quandry always remember "WWCD" (What Would Chuck Do)  ;D ;D ;D

[...then run screaming into the night because of the pure madness it evokes ;D ;D ;D ]

Marc

M-Works

lab-dad

Gee I was happy to just make some progress.....
I had thought about using stripwood for the molds but figured once I put the joists in no one would see the foundations.
May be I'll just shelve the whole thing and go back to sitting on my ass.
-Mj

marc_reusser

Marty,

Moping and self-pity do not become you....you are far better than that...and you know it!  :)

Marc

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Marty:

I agree with Marc and Jacq... the machining work on the engine is so superb, that the "concrete" bases don't seem to fit. I'm assuming they were generally mounted on concrete pedestals but maybe there were other options. And none of this business about sitting on your ass. There are far too many people in this world already who accomplish nothing more than that... with your talent and skills you'll come up with a solution.

Paul