• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Airbrush Paint & Source Recommendations

Started by DaKra, November 15, 2010, 02:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK so I'll get an Iwata- my old Badger single action is, well, old and single action, and it clogs, and it's output is variable, and the needle is inconvenient etc.

If you find a good hobby shop, support it. That place with all of Marc's paint is remarkable. Stocking paint to that depth is very expensive with few "turns" per year to make money. I ran a hobby shop half of a big local old toy and hobby store once. There is no money in selling paint, no matter if it is $7 a bottle. Buy a kit or to when you are there.

Jester's stuff is cool. Concept, design, finishing- imaginative and very well done. And he is making a rocket out of PVC plumbing. With lights inside! Fun!

Question: who uses what to thin acrylics??

John
John Palecki

finescalerr

You could use water (but shouldn't) or 70% rubbing alcohol but the best thinner is usually the stuff the manufacturer makes. -- Russ

JohnP

I sort of figured Russ. I was wondering if there was a secret weapon that makes the paint flow easier and dry quicker. Maybe something I could drink too  :P

John
John Palecki

eTraxx

John, Liquitex makes a Flow-Aid.  It's a fluidfiant .. label says "Increases flow, surface penetration, and workability of thinned acrylic colors. I haven't played with it yet to any extent.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Dave,

I use the regular ones...(though I have several Air as well)...because I buy the paint for the color I need, and Air does not have all, nor the same, colors as the "Model Color", or "Panzer Aces" line.

You want to ake sure you shake/mix the paints well, and the paints are pretty thick/dense (that's why they work so beatifully for detail brushwork) When using Vallejo, I recommend you use distilled water for any thinning you do with water for brushing or shooting. There is also a trick to thinning them that will help with spraying; in a mixing container/cup, mix any paint colors first, then add and mix in well the Vallejo thinner (basically a clear carrier medium), and lastly mix in the distilled water.  The reason for using the Vallejo thinner, rather than water only or windshield-washer fluid only, is because the paint "generally" requires from 30-50% thinning....and water or fluid only can/will affect the coverage and adhesiopn ability of the paint. (now, all that said, you can use washer fluid only..I did today...but I would recommend you test experiment first to see in what conditions, application and in what ratio it works and doesn't.

Note that the Vallejo paints will dry very fast when shooting...and you will get build-up in the nozzle, which may/will need to be cleaned off every now and then during use. I use 90% Iso Alc. on a soft rag to do this, and 95% Iso Alc. or Acetone, to do the final cleaning and reaming when I am done spraying.

Another thing to note about the Vallejo paints ( and sim small dropper bottle paints such as Andrea and Game Color), is that they are a very different type from Tamiya, and unlike the Tamiya, they will form more of a "skin" type layer (sim but far finer than normal acrylics)....this becomes apparent or comes into play, if you want to do the hairspray chipping, or sand them...then if you have areas that are applied to heavy/thick, you will encounter problems/issues.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Dennis

Which HP do you like? There are quite a few of them. What would you recommend?

David Emery

Quote from: eTraxx on November 21, 2010, 07:41:16 PM
John, Liquitex makes a Flow-Aid.  It's a fluidfiant .. label says "Increases flow, surface penetration, and workability of thinned acrylic colors. I haven't played with it yet to any extent.
I like Flo-Aid, it's one of those things I get with a craft store (Michaels, AC Moore) 40% coupon.  I keep a pull-top water bottle of Flo-Aid solution handy (clearly labeled, so I don't drink it.)  Even better, I got an eye drop bottle, pulled off the top, cleaned it out really well, and then put some Flo-Aid solution into it.  That's what I use to thin paints (e.g. craft paints, artist acrylics, Vallejo) since I get drop-by-drop control of the water.

dave

marc_reusser

Dennis,

Sorry for the late response, just saw your question.

I have/use the IWATA Hi-Line HP-CH
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=H4100

But am scrimping to hopefully also get the HP-BH
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=H2100
As it has more fine of a needle, and a smaller cup for those fine details and quick spritzes of paint.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works