• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

recent modelling from KIM

Started by 1-32, March 25, 2020, 05:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: 1-32 on August 08, 2020, 02:10:29 PM
Ray, there was this guy on U Tube that reminded me for when you went exploring old mine workings in the near-desert to you. Can't remember his name but he went down into the mines either brave or stupid but it was interesting to see what was left on the surface.
cheers

Yeah, there are several YouTubers who do videos like that. Most of them worry me -- they might know what they're doing but they seem to take a lot of risks, and possibly encourage less knowledgeable people to enter old mines. Plus the government is always looking for an excuse to close off old mines, and I suspect those videos may be attracting government attention. Then there are the kooks who play up the "haunted mine" BS to get clicks.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Thanks, Helmut. One thing that I want to change is the top pulley I have found one that is a lot more chunkey we will see.
Ray, I can't watch one of those old mines videos all the way through some of these guys just take too many risks. I am surprised that so many are still open most likely broken into to find all the old stuff left behind.
cheers, Kim.

Lawton Maner

I have had to put my computer into quarantine for a week because it caught a virus. I was picking on your misspelling of DRAG line.  Most of my work isn't worthy of being on this forum.

Bernhard

The bucket on the barge looks very realistic.

Bernhard

1-32

good morning.
How is it going in California with those massive fires and the heat wishing you all the best?
Sunday and another barge in 1/35 scale are nearing completion love them straight forward with a lot of painting potential. Materials card wood and air-cured modeling clay which is a new material for me.
cheers.

finescalerr

Ain't nothin' at all wrong with that. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Excellent! I love the rotting wood deck. I assume the clay was used to make that canvas-wrapped cargo?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi all.
Moving along.
The first picture is the barge with a bit more of the creeper this is the effect that I want -exposed warped wood that nature is slowly taking over.
The last picture is the other bales that I have done, build a form out of cheap cardboard first then drape in the air-cured modeling clay. I roll it out much as you would do with pastry with a rolling pin you can get it really thin then emboss with anything you want like fine gauze put the finished article in the sun for a short while then it is ready for priming. This is an excellent product for creating shapes that are more organic than a hard edge
Anyway yes, I do a lot of modelling I really hope that I don't get on your nerves I really am trying to be selective.
cheers.

finescalerr

Yeah, Kim, it really gets on our nerves. Now quit worrying about nothing and keep posting. The modeling clay idea is very good and the results look excellent. -- Russ

Barney

Just keep it coming - its all good stuff - and it keeps the forum alive
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

Looks like bags of drugs you fished out of the ocean.  The wet and water damage are realistic.  Was that the effect you were looking for?

1-32

Afternoon all good here, what is needed is a platform to display my recent, track work, boats, and my interest in working mechanical signaling so. A shelf working display model size 1200 mm by 480 mm half land half water features. Simple layout on the right a yard mouth to the next module, traveling to the left a footbridge then a  turnout to a turntable then the whalf  line 1/35 scale on 16.5 mm track about 80 percent hand made no time limit working mechanical signaling  1 house 1 turntable etc
cheers.

Bill Gill

Simple layout on the right a yard mouth to the next module, traveling to the left a footbridge then a  turnout to a turntable then the whalf  line 1/35 scale on 16.5 mm track Kim
Wow, if that's "simple" then what do you consider complex? :)   Sounds like a neat diorama.

Lawton Maner

Complex would have, in addition to what is already there, a traveling carnival with working rides and a tent show.

As ever it is a pleasure to watch your work progress.  The signal in your last photo is quite good.  I guess the white sheet behind the blade is because at one part of a day, the sun is behind the signal?  Some years ago I remember a visit to the Kent and East Sussex railway where there was a hawk sitting on one of the signals who seemed to be quite surprised when it moved under his feet.

;D

finescalerr

It's been a while and I've been wondering what you've been doing. I'll be curious how everything fits together. -- Russ