• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brass Cleaning Solution

Started by WP Rayner, January 21, 2022, 11:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WP Rayner

Have been cleaning a clock movement today and thought I'd share the formula I use for cleaning movements and brass parts. It brings brass up to a like-new state and is also effective at cleaning steel and other metals, removing grease, oil, sludge, and dirt. It's easy to make from readily available materials that you can pick up at most any hardware store. This formula makes one gallon, but you can proportionately reduce quantities to make a smaller amount.

1. 4 ounces of Murphy's Oil Soap. The formula calls for 4 ounces of Olic Acid, but since that is hard to find, you can substitute Murphy's Oil Soap which contains Olic Acid and works equally well.

2. 8 ounces of Acetone

3. Slowly add 12 ounces of household ammonia.

4. Cover the solution and let it sit until the clumps settle out. You can stir it slightly.

5. Once the solution has cleared, add it to one gallon of distilled water.

There is another variation that adds an additional 8 ounces of Methyl Hydrate as the second step, but I've never added the Methyl Hydrate to the solution I use. Will have to experiment with that one day.

Then all you have to do is soak your brass parts in the solution for approx. 30 minutes then brush them off lightly with a soft bristle brush to remove any stubborn bits of gunge, rinse in water, and dry. I use the solution in an ultrasonic cleaner which eliminates the brushing stage and works much faster, but that is not necessary. I've used this solution for cleaning up a very dirty and greasy antique gramophone mechanism, more iron and steel than brass, and it cleaned it up a treat.

Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Bill Gill

Thanks, Paul. Sounds very useful.
Would this be a good formula for cleaning metals before trying to chemically blacken them?

WP Rayner

Quote from: Bill Gill on January 21, 2022, 01:43:11 PM
Would this be a good formula for cleaning metals before trying to chemically blacken them?

I've never tried that Bill, so don't know. I think it would be as long as the metal was rinsed well and dried before treating it with the blackening solution. The cleaning solution seems to have some form of preservative effect as well. Once the brass is cleaned, it remains clean and fresh looking for a considerable period of time, at least in a normal household environment.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

finescalerr

Your cleaner sounds excellent. Thanks for the instructions. -- Russ

WP Rayner

No problem Russ. Here's a photo of what the cleaner can do. I grabbed a piece of brass tube from my scrap metal box, stood it up in a small container of the cleaning fluid, let it sit for 30 minutes, rinsed it off, and dried it. No scrubbing, brushing, or rubbing needed. You can clearly see the difference between the upper clean section and the lower section which wasn't cleaned. The ultrasonic cleaner would have done a slightly better job in less time, noticeable on the brass clock wheels in the background. This is an excellent preparation for soldering brass.

BrassCleanerInsta.jpg
Paul

finescalerr

Uh-oh.... My wife wants me to make some. -- Russ

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on January 22, 2022, 01:21:36 PM
Uh-oh.... My wife wants me to make some. -- Russ

Uh-oh... chores! I forgot to mention it only works on plain metal. It won't work on lacquered or painted brass.
Paul

WP Rayner

Spent this week repairing and restoring a tall-case clock with Westminster chime. Just finished cleaning the mechanism using the solution described above. After cleaning I brushed each component using a variety of soft-bristle clock/watch cleaning brushes which help bring up the shine. Photo below shows the mechanism cleaned and partially reassembled. Luckily all this needed was a good cleaning, lube, and some adjustment. Didn't have to make any parts. Next two repair jobs will be a little more challenging.

HermleCleanInsta.jpg
Paul

finescalerr

It looks like the inside of my brain ... except your clock is clean and now functions properly. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Those parts all look good as new!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World