• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossynths

Hello All,

Thanks!

Marc, you see that I made the top of the mechanism flat with my rotary sander. Then A 0,5 mm thick footplate was used for the build up and on that a 0,5 mm thick tube solderd on. This makes that the original worm fits exactly at the right height. The motor is a Faulhabe 2020A.

Your mechanism looks perfect with the 45 degree worms, must be a good runner.

Best wishes to all, Otto.

ossynths

Mistake for not reading well enough, Franck that was your mechanism! Did you addan intermediate gearing like this one for my Deutz?

Otto.

ossynths

Hello Marc,

I made it for a friend, it was a fantasy and a quickie, but I like it very much myself.
The bonnet came from a white metal and plastic kit from K S Modellesenbahnen.
www.KS-Modelleisenbahnen.com

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: ossynths on July 05, 2009, 02:41:37 AM
Mistake for not reading well enough, Franck that was your mechanism! Did you addan intermediate gearing like this one for my Deutz?

Otto.

Hi Otto,

No intermediate gearing, because I didn't use a 2020A but a 2020D! ;)

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: ossynths on July 05, 2009, 02:31:59 AM
Hello All,

Thanks!

Marc, you see that I made the top of the mechanism flat with my rotary sander. Then A 0,5 mm thick footplate was used for the build up and on that a 0,5 mm thick tube solderd on. This makes that the original worm fits exactly at the right height. The motor is a Faulhabe 2020A.

Hi Otto, very good idea! I had tried before making my new frame to use the 2020 with the original frame, but without success! And after I didn't test other solutions... ::) :P. Moreover, I wanted a full equalization system, and the  Bachmann frame was not equipped...So, I scratchbuilt a new frame...

Quote from: ossynths on July 05, 2009, 02:31:59 AM
Your mechanism looks perfect with the 45 degree worms, must be a good runner.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes it's a good runner  ;)

Mr Potato Head

Marc you sure milled the heck out of that frame! I don't think that I have ever quite seen a clamp job like that before? I like where you'r going with this one, because I have a closet full of these things and you are right the standard bashes of these look toy like. That's probally why i shelved mine. Thanks for renewing my intrest
Gil Flores
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

RE-WORKING THE BONNET:

The original Bachmann bonnet piece with all the raised detail removed, stack hole filled, detail line filled, and sides extended. Though not very Deutz-like, in the spirit of simplification, I chose to leave the cast-on radiator grille detail, and reuse the Bachmann headlight assembly (hence not filling the 3 holes in the top)

Here you can clearly see some more of the rework that was done to the original Bachmann piece:

1. the sides were extended using .040 x .125 styrene strip

2. The front was also extended .125", but thicker styrene was used in order to "push" the bonnet further forward on the frame.

3. The original Bachmann mounting tab was cleanly cut from the original part, and re-attached on the inside of the thicker styrene extension.

4. the rear of the original bonnet piece was removed, and a piece of styrene reinforcing was installed.

5. Slots were cut in the side at the locations where the ventilation holes are to be in the new side panel.

The image below shows the reworked bonnet area test fitted on the frame. Here you can see how much closer the bonnet now sits towards the front.

Some of the details added.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Waldbahner

That looks pretty cool Marc. Keep on the good work ;-)

Bye, Gerd

jacq01

Marc,

good to see you back on this one.

Are the panels sliding ones or lift out ones ? 

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Now that I have picked myself up off the floor......
Glad to see you posting work again.
But, I can not believe with all that work you didnt make up a new radiator guard, simple? what has that to do with anything?
The proportions are coming up nicely, really like the "feel" of the side panels.
-Mj

Waldbahner

Hm... I looked again to the photos and now I wounder if the hood isn't to small... The prototype Deutz OMZ 122 locomotive have very broad motor hoods. Your version Marc look more tall then broad...

Bye, Gerd

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on August 11, 2009, 02:24:14 AM

Marc,

good to see you back on this one.

Are the panels sliding ones or lift out ones ? 

Jacq

Jacq ,

Without wanting to answer for Marc , I would say they are  lift out as you'd have a job sliding the panels passed the turnbuckles . What do you think ?

Nick

marc_reusser

Jacq: I had no idea that there werew slide-out versions. I am just sort of picking and choosing ideas/details/inspiration from the stack of Deutz images I have.

Gerd: Yes, the proportions are a bit off for both the larger and smaller Deutz locos....the height is pretty close to correct based on drawings I have...but the width is not quite right for any of the models......but I figure since the overall length will also be completely wrong, and the wheelbase is wrong, I am not going to worry too much. I really just wanted to do a Deutz inspired look/appearance....mainly something to show that the Bmann loco can be used/modified outside of what is generally done to it in 1/32.....and I am too lazy and easily distracted to do all the work that would be required to accurately match the prototype (I'll save that for my armor models ;) ;D ).

Marty: ...heck I gotta draw the line someplace ;).....in retrospect I should have just removed the grille......and I may still make some kind of screened or perforated covering for it....especially since I am not sure about re-using the exist holes for a new grab-rail (though I did find a Deutz image with an example of it)....

Marc

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Hey Marc

Good to see you back and posting.   Keep us posted and make MJ feel bad that he says you never finish anything ;)

Jerry 
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Whoa!!! :o....nobody said anything about FINISHING it..... ;D

M

M-Works