• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Stumbled onto this site/store at Shapeways and thought some forum members might find these circa 1915 crawler models interesting. But I can't find what scale(s) they are https://www.shapeways.com/designer/tracmodel/creations

5thwheel

I read under the pictures two at 1:87 - HO and last one, 1:64-S. Look good.

Bill Hudson
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

SandiaPaul

They look pretty good. I randomly choose the 45 HP 1915 one and it is available in S and O scale.
Paul

finescalerr

They usually show renderings of the models. In this case, every image in the link is a rendering. If anybody actually buys one of those models or anything similar, please post an image of its appearance before you clean it up. Might be educational for many of us. -- Russ

nk

A plea for help.

I have neither the aptitude nor the inclination to make digital drawings for manhole covers for my ongoing projects. Does anyone have a suggestion for a person who does this kind of work (and I am happy to pay, of course)?

Thanks for your help.

Narayan
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

Many of us could help you. Ed Traxler seems to be our current resident expert but even I might be capable of something like that. I am very slow, though, because I don't use SketchUp regularly so use me as a last resort. -- Russ

eTraxx

I just pulled this up .. something I did a while back for my own amusement. Do you have anything specific in mind for the design, name etc." Scale etc.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

Bill gill,   I believe the tractors  you spotted were being sold on E-bay from somebody?  I had them on my watch list at one time. They were selling O scale...S and HO
Craig

Bill Gill

"Bill gill,   I believe the tractors  you spotted were being sold on E-bay from somebody?  I had them on my watch list at one time. They were selling O scale...S and HO" Craig
Thank you, Craig.

Ed! Good to see you posting. I like the manhole itself along with the cover.

nk

Quote from: eTraxx on January 12, 2018, 05:35:47 AM
I just pulled this up .. something I did a while back for my own amusement. Do you have anything specific in mind for the design, name etc." Scale etc.

Thanks Russ and Ed. I am getting some very generous help from a forum member. I know it has been said before, but this forum is incredible.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

eTraxx

hey .. it's part of why we hang out here I think. Sharing is like a series of mini-lessons :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

On the 1915 crawler models....There's a person selling on E-bay sellers name [tracmodel] Item number 122846422600  115.00 dollars with free US shipping.  Check it out ;D
Craig

LesTindall

Russ left a remark back in December about the results from 3D printing as compared with the "computer image" on adverts.   It is definitely a case of "buyer beware" (other than Shapeways who produce some good stuff). I have had a chimney and dome 3D printed for my 16mm scale Garratt - superb (not cheap but worth it), however there are now an increasing number of manufacturers offering 3D printed items. Having just purchased some items I find they are only fit for the bin.  Are they using cheap home quality printers and then selling these items commercially for a quick mark-up?    Has anyone else had such bad experiences.     
Les   

Greg Hile

Interesting. I'd love to hear more details on what you have been finding

I've been running a test over the last year or two comparing 3D print jobs of the same file. One was from Shapeways, two from different printers at local libraries, and one from my cheap $200 entry-level printer, a Monospace IIIP v.2. Attached is a photo (not the best quality photo I will admit) of the four pieces side by side. Just out of curiosity, which one came from Shapeways and which one came from my cheap entry-level printer?

Lawton Maner

At the Friends of the East Broad Top reunion this weekend a vendor had some 3d printed parts foe sale.  The printing base for one of them had a surface pattern which in a larger scale could represent a generic access cover.  If you need one with a particular logo on it that would be a bit harder.  But for a generic cover just print a circular base you would use to print the part and you would be done.