• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

QuoteWe should all be so thorough in our work...

...that's what you get from inquisitive, anal retentive, retired engineers. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 10, 2009, 10:23:43 PM
...that's what you get from inquisitive, anal retentive, retired engineers. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

MR

Yah... they're almost as bad as architects....  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Paul

jacq01

Paul you are right, those architects... thousands of little projects, but no end in sight    ;D ;D

But I don't give up searching for reliable information and found for belt drives the following.

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/mills/burmamill02.htm

It is part of a large site with a very large amount of interesting items, links etc.  I just looked at the narrow gauge part and 2 hours later realised the time.. ::)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

Back to the mill.
  I have worked out the lineshaft arrangement on the ground floor.

The headsaw, the resaw, logcar and drives for resaw and main roller streets together with transferses will be driven by one engine.
  The belts to the headsaw and resaw need to be crossed to get the correct turning direction.
  Here I have my only doubts, the high power required and the crossing belts seem to contradict, but I can't find in all the information I have that this will be a problem.
All the other drives will be part of the second lineshaft. 
In total there will be 22-24 beltdriven points + headsaw, resaw and edger.  Production of the pullies, bearings and shaft flanges has started, together with the necessary  groundfloor foundations and ceiling hanger positions. As soon as the groundfloor foundations are in place, the floor can be finished.

position of driven pullies marked with coloured pins (colour has no meaning YET)

area between headsaw, resaw and edger. Lower part of saws will be incorporated in lower structure.

area in way of log loading area. concrete in place for saw and Hill logturner ( steamnigger)

foundation and support structure of headsaw. I columns to be replaced with H columns
As is visible, grouting for correct position is necessary

foundation detail of Hill logturner

detail view of resaw foundation.

reworked footing under mill columns. finished with tiling cement. when dry surfaces touchrd up with x-cto knife.

Material for concrete :  normal finishing cement to imitate the coarser use and fine tiling cement for the footings and finished surfaces.
                                cement is mixed with water/pva glue in the normal ratio's.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

NORCALLOGGER

QuoteThe belts to the headsaw and resaw need to be crossed to get the correct turning direction.
  Here I have my only doubts, the high power required and the crossing belts seem to contradict, but I can't find in all the information I have that this will be a problem.

Jacq,
I don't understand your concern here.  I would think the crossing belts are more a concern of speed (SPM) than one of power (HP) .  If it is a problem reverse your engine and run direct flats to the power hogs and reverse the belts to the lesser machines.

Just a thought
Rick Marty

marc_reusser

Well, I am thoroughly confused....but, I can say it looks good.

For some reason, the foundation piers still seem a bit small to me...but what do I know. :-\

MR

M-Works

jacq01

i
QuoteFor some reason, the foundation piers still seem a bit small to me...but what do I know.

I have the same feeling, but comparing and checking the horizontal sizes, they appear to be ok.   I can't put my fingers on it , maybe too much parts of approx the same dimensions.

The most probably reason can be the height. Now they are nearly square.  I should have made them a bit higher to my feelings.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Thought you might be interested in this catalog that the Digital archive has available for download.

"Logging By Steam"; 1905 Lidgerwood Logging Machinery Equipment Catalog
http://www.archive.org/details/loggingbysteame00deptgoog

Though the photos are mostly devoted to southern and some eastern logging equipment, I think you would still enjoy it imensly (I do mine ;) ) Ligderwood made all sorts of logging equipment from simple donkeys/hoists to huge complex skidding and yarding machines.

MR

M-Works

marc_reusser

...and since you are dealing with pulleys and belts, this cataolog might be of interest.

http://www.archive.org/details/generalcatalogse00meesrich

Up in the 100's pages, they have some info on power transfer direction with belt & pulley systems.

MR

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

thanks, great reference material. ;D ;D  All building has stopped  ;) to read all this stuff.

The header "machinery" contains a huge amount of technical information. If you click "read online", it is possible to read it as with an e-reader.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks

Excellent links Marc... thanks. That Meese & Gottfried Company catalogue certainly appeared to be a deluxe and rather substantial publication what with the gold embossing on the cover. Window dressing aside though, there's a tremendous number of reference illustrations and drawings within... good stuff. The Lidgerwood book is excellent... particularly like the photo on page 37 "Cableway Skidder with A Frame Spar on Scow" - the sort of scene if you modelled it, nobody would believe it.  Interesting section on pull-boat logging. Had never seen a "Baptist Cone" before... it's hard to imagine them doing that with a straight face  ;) ;D ;D

Paul

jacq01

The first pulley foundation in place. 
Footing is made from tiling cement mixed with water mixed with pva ( like ballast glue)

The first expiremental engine foundations ( fast drying plaster) in test-set up.
The casing for these footings will be made from finer grained wood and the footings made from cement.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Great texture!
Now, what are you going to use to color them?
I need to color mine but have yet to experiment.
Hoping you and Chuck will do all the hard work!  ;D ;D ;D
-Marty

jacq01

The casing parts for the dam are ready.
  The downside is made up of a framed casing so planking marks are visible. According to HAEBS HAER info the lakeside was hydraulically applied concrete and is smooth, which is visible in several old and newer photo's .

overview of the moulding set up ready for pouring with below the individual parts of the mould casing

the lake side. The wall is from smooth carton, sealed with paint from spraycan to prevent excesive mosture absorbtion.

the downside casing showing the planking. Planking has been sanded to eliminate most grain and primed with paint to make removal from the casting easier.

backside showing reinforcement to maintain shape. Innitially planks were done with available !2"x 2" scale planks, but planks had too much spring back to be able to keep the shape correct. Newplanks were sawn on my new proxxon bandsaw having a thickness of 0,5mm. The planks  were added succesfully without distortion.

I am dead scared pouring...................... :o  thinking of airbubbles, pieces breaking when dissassembling mould parts.
Most probably I'll add another paint layer and some mold release.

I have been expirementing with  modelers plaster, grouting cement and tiling cement.

left plaster       right grouting cement.  Cement part broke when removing from mould (due to my impatience)  parts are now one day after pouring very strong and not brittle.

surface detail  plaster.  model plaster with plain water

surface detail cement.  cement with water/glue mix as used for ballasting.

I still have to do tiling cement in the mould to see what the finish will be.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Sweet!....looking forward to the fainal cast dam. The trick will be not to have any cracks ;)  ;D

MR

M-Works