• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

My large H0 layout Dreimuehlental will go to Walferdange and Leverkusen ( FdE Burscheid jubileum)
  After that I do not intend to visit exhibitions with it and plan to sell the layout.

As I have no experience in selling I am hoping one or more of can help me with some good suggestions.

It will not mean the end of modeling, but the emphasis is shifting to finalising the sawmill diorama and some new idea's in a larger scale.
The farm/watermill ( Aschenbach painting) in combination with a feldbahn / log loading in the woods.

Max 4 modules ( 4.80m) with focused subjects.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

QuoteAfter that I do not intend to visit exhibitions with it and plan to sell the layout.

Wow...the end of an era. It's a beautiful piece of work...hopefully it will find a good and deserving home.

Since you like the unique......for the feldbahn loading in the woods, I have a Reeeaaaaly interesting twist for you if you are interested (though you would need to learn to model elephants)......"The Cochin Forest Railway"....it was built by the British in India, and used all O&K loco's cars and equipment (I worked on, and collaborated on, research for an article of this RR a while back).....Russ wasn't interested in publishing it :'( :'( :'(

The B&W photos on this page are actually from my collection (used by Devan with permission)...the color ones are his from his recent following of the old grade

http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Heritage/CochinStateForestTramway/

Devan's Version of the article and history of the RR can be found here.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:uAA6Wn0kdgYJ:www.irfca.org/articles/CochinStateForestTramwayJournal.doc+cochin+forest+railway&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

this definitely is interesting. The challenge lies in trying to catch the mix of indian / british / O&K characteristics.
  Are there beside the article and photo's more details available, like track plans, geograhic details of the zigzags, plans of rolling stock.
  Especially the logging disconnects and some other waggons do show more an english profile than O&K feldbahn types.
  The most important item will be plans of the material as everthing will have to be built from scratch.
  This way seeds for idea's are planted.  The european and american railway scenes have been covered to such an extend that idea's like this are worthwhile to investigate. A lot to be studied in this instance. 

But first: back to the sawmill. Tonight I will collect all the lumber for the module frames, so I can start on the landscaping for the groundfloor,  dam, foundations of the boiler- and engine house and the railway.  

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

My article/approach focused more on equipment and characteristics of the line. All the rail equipment was O&K including th log cars (have found the catalog cuts) and I believe the equipment for the incline machinery as well. As such it goes a long way towards assuming that the derricks for loading were also. It was all shipped by freighter to the port of Cochin, and the loaded on the Std. Ga. Indian Railways cars for delivery to the starting point of the line in Chalakudy, where they had their shops.  Seeing the British penchant for order organization and, efficiency (almost teutonic in a way) it is unlikely that two many sources, mfrs and different points of loading would have been used, especially considering the complexity involved in building of the line. 

The line was divided into two sections. From the shops to the first inclines, and from the inclines to Parambikulum. The first section was served by the larger locos, and the second due to its winding line, and grades was served by the smaller ones. I have some maps show the rail line. The most thorough being one that was done by the US Army after WW2....though it does still leave out some of the nuances. [Side Note: This is how I found out about the Klein-Linder Radiating Axles that Paul talks about in another thread here....they were used on the locos on this line]

Those images that you see on Devan's site/post (and now apparently have been clipped and use by numerous parties online...including the "Prambikulum Forest Preserve") are the only photos that have surfaced of the line. Devan (who lives in India ) heavily researched the line and seeing that he has only posted mine, (as well as the State of Cochin' Forestry Preserve Agency using them) makes me think that he has not found any additional photos.  I do have better and larger scans of them.

I began my research when I came across the images....I was just fascinated by this operation and its aesthetic character.

There are a couple of US operations in Honduras that I also started dabbling in...one had a McGiffert loader that it appears had to be shipped up one of those jungle rivers....brought all sorts of images of Fitzcaraldo to mind.

There were also some really neat logging operations in Argentina that used the O&K equipment.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here are two pics from SA I had on hand.

One is Argentina, the other is Paraguay.

M

M-Works

lucas gargoloff

I have some pics somewhere in my puter, let me find them!! Lots of O&K stuffs
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

Ray Dunakin

Marc, have you tried submitting it to the Gazette? They've published a lot of articles on odd little foreign lines.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 28, 2009, 05:03:23 PM
Marc, have you tried submitting it to the Gazette? They've published a lot of articles on odd little foreign lines.

Ray,

Thanks for the thought. I havent done so....only because of my personal feelings towards what the Gazette has become; not a magazine I really want to be part of. At one time I was considering sending it to Tall Timber Shortlines or Timber Times.
One of the problems it has, is, not many photos....the ones you saw, plus various additional equipment catalog cuts is all there are (so not enough just "looking", but actually requiring reading and imagination)....the other problem is that the American model RR community is for the most part very myopic when it comes to subject manner.....if it involves RR's that did not use US equipment, were in other countries, (other than maybe England, Australia, New Zealand) they generally have little to no interest.  They would rather look at some Colorado car or loco for the 10,000th time, than have to read or learn about something outside their comfort zone/typical cr*p.

Marc

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Marc!
What about your own book! I was amazed how much money was shelled out at the last convention for reprinted picture books in "German" or "French"  I love my Charles Small books! come on you can do it! if you can't do it sub it out to a publisher, there have got be be thousand of out of work publishers who need the work!
Gil
Do what you do best and let others do the rest for you! ;D
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

As long as the images are jpg's you can use MyPublisher(or sim outfit) and do them pretty cheap.
I have done several, even one on the Plymouth.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on November 05, 2009, 02:39:41 PM
Marc!
What about your own book!

Yeah....I'll get right on that. ::)........like I have the time  :-\.....I know too many people in the publishing business to ever want to get involved in that....noooo, thanks.....it's enough work/time dealing with the people that want to use my stuff for their books.

Speaking of nothing better to do......how's that layout coming Gil? ;) ;D

M

M-Works

jacq01

Problems.................
  during upgrade of the computer, all files were, as the normal routine, stored on the external back up hard disk.
  When trying to recover the backed up material, the hard disk refused to connect.
  I hope it will be resolved, otherwise all gathered information about sawmilling will be lost. :'( :'(
  Luckily my progress photo's are not involved.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Jacq, you know that it is possible to get data from a defective hard drive, right? Some businesses specialize in data retrieval. You may yet live happily ever after. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Sorry to hear this, hopefully you can get it all working or recover the data. Iknow this kind of stuff is really frustrating.

Sound a bit like a driver, or compatability, error...but what do I know :-\

M

M-Works

jacq01

Russ, Marc   there is hope...

My youngest son has good hope he will be able to retrieve the data from the crashed hard disk.  Tomorrow I'll know more.
Most probably he has done so already and keeps up the tension in the hope to get extra when he goes to Korea in Januari.
He has been selected by the University of Seoul to follow special topics for half a year in Suwon. He is finalizing his BSc in Mechatronics.

The timber for the modules have been cut to size so the mill module can be finalised.  Photo's to show the the progress steps
will shortly be added.

Jacq

I am what I remember.