• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Others have built large sawmills, but no one I have seen has thought it through like you are doing. If you take it to a show, I hope you can include some of this information so at least some caring spectators can appreciate it more.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Talk about thinking through a model! I have watched in awe as Chuck researches peeling paint and broken windows, then recreates them in miniature. Now I witness Jacq's quest to replicate scale hardware of the proper horsepower for a 1:48 mill. There must be a higher category for such devotion to the art and science of our hobby than simply "modeling". -- Russ

TRAINS1941

How could this be judged by anyone this is finest Sawmill that I've seen.  All the research that has gone into the building and then to share it all with us.

They would have to make a special category.

There is just the finest modelers on this forum.  And to have someone of your talent here just makes it even better.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Look...the sad truth is..no matter how accurate and awe inspiring it is...and to what beautiful and higher standard it is built, it doesnt stand a chance at winning anything....

There were no posicle sticks used in it's construction
He did not use the cheapest craft paints and materials
He will not have poorly painted figures..and that are shiny
He is not going to have vegetation/grass around it that look like hairplugs
There is not enough orange rust
There are not enough crappy resin clutter castings with mediocre paint work
There is no rust-bucket locomotive included with antlers and draped chains
....oh the list is endless

And for those that don't believe me......the proof lies in Chuck Doan's beautiful Red Oaks Garage dio.....it was head and shoulders above anything in that room...but didn't place or win anything, yet it has been copied and emulated dozens of times since them...even worse, they placed my mediocre non-effort dio.

So you see....the judging masses are completely inept and incompetent doofuses when it comes to appreciating great work.....because it does not look "funner"...and it has "standards"...heaven forbid he even used a scale, reference material, his cuts are square, and his wood is not fuzzy....they cant get their narrow little minds around it.

....but please do not let that stop you from bringing it......cause I, and I know others here, would definitely like to see and appreciate it.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

We don't build for the "masses". We build for ourselves and each other. Those who don't appreciate great work don't deserve and will never enjoy the pleasure such models bring. -- Russ

jacq01

QuoteThere were no posicle sticks used in it's construction
He did not use the cheapest craft paints and materials
He will not have poorly painted figures..and that are shiny
He is not going to have vegetation/grass around it that look like hairplugs
There is not enough orange rust
There are not enough crappy resin clutter castings with mediocre paint work
There is no rust-bucket locomotive included with antlers and draped chains
....oh the list is endless

The dio isn't finished yet  :D :D :D :D ::)

QuoteWe don't build for the "masses". We build for ourselves and each other
:o :o  I thought only for the competitions. I must be on the wrong forum, getting such advise  ::) ::) ::)

All thanks for the comments, it shows that most of us have the same attitudes and share similar philosphies about modeling.
If it is possible to bring the mill module, it is not for any contest. Maybe it is possible to be part of p.e.  the Finescale RR table or as background for Marc's models..................

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Marc or Chuck

Question in what year did Chuck have the Red Oak Garage at the show and where was the show held?

Just was wondering.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on September 30, 2009, 07:03:07 AM
Marc or Chuck

Question in what year did Chuck have the Red Oak Garage at the show and where was the show held?

Just was wondering.

Jerry

Jerry ,

I believe it was at Dearborn and the year 2005(?).

Nick

p.s. I need your address

Chuck Doan

It was Santa Clara in 2004. And because of Marc's stand out diorama, I got hooked up with this crew.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Don't blame Marc, Chuck. You are as loony as the rest of us.

And let's get a couple of other facts clear about 2004: Chuck's diorama was against a wall between a couple of larger, better illuminated (albeit inferior) dioramas. His was a cutaway whereas the others showed entire structures. The First Place Diorama was either next to Chuck's garage or one model removed. It had its own exterior and interior lighting, lots of trees on a hillside, and frosted weathering on the wood. The model was Brian Nolan's car shop.

The Great Unwashed simply don't understand such concepts as subtlety, perfection in a small space, cutway dioramas, or the understatement necessary for ultimate realism. To them, bigger is better, brighter is righter, cutaway is throwaway. Most probably didn't even stop to look closely at Chuck's compact gem.

Marc's model was at the end of the row of tables, closer to the window. It definitely deserved a prize. (Please note: Marc actually completed that diorama.)

Chuck also entered a 1:48 scale engine service facility and placed it on a better lighted table closer to the center of the room. I published an article about that model a couple of years ago. It is typical of Chuck's meticulous, super-realistic work. It, too deserved some kind of prize but got lost among the bigger, more glamorous entries.

As I recall, third place went to a relatively crude logging enginehouse or something like that.

That is why I suggest we not worry about prizes or accolades by half blind, unsophisticated guys intimidated by superiority. A friend recently suggested I start giving the Westlake Publishing Prize for excellence. But I think a better idea would be for all of us to put our models together on one or two tables and leave it at that. It might make the statement that we quietly lead by example rather than try to shout with the loudest voice.

Russ

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's,
QuoteRuss: A friend recently suggested I start giving the Westlake Publishing Prize for excellence.

I'll be happy to donate a $100.00 to the prize pool....  :o
If it helps get something like that started....
(who knows maybe I'll win it one year...<--- thinking positive... heh... If we are all still alive by then  :D ;D ;) :D )

Mike

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 30, 2009, 10:59:55 AM
It was Santa Clara in 2004. And because of Marc's stand out diorama, I got hooked up with this crew.

I was close !

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on September 30, 2009, 11:55:47 AM

That is why I suggest we not worry about prizes or accolades by half blind, unsophisticated guys intimidated by superiority. A friend recently suggested I start giving the Westlake Publishing Prize for excellence. But I think a better idea would be for all of us to put our models together on one or two tables and leave it at that. It might make the statement that we quietly lead by example rather than try to shout with the loudest voice.

Russ

So , Russ , are you suggesting that starts at next years convention ?  So it will almost be like a club stand . Does that mean we get a T shirt ?
    However , I can't see that happening until 2013 when the convention comes to your neck of the woods again .

I would happily not bother entering the competition if there were somewhere separate to display my meagre offering  amongst the "creme de la creme" .

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on September 30, 2009, 11:55:47 AM
But I think a better idea would be for all of us to put our models together on one or two tables and leave it at that. It might make the statement that we quietly lead by example rather than try to shout with the loudest voice.

Russ

Speak softly and carry a big stick has always been my preferred plan of attack...  ;)

Paul

jacq01

I received from Mike (Mr Brownstone) a large parcel with various castings. The O scale brick panel looks very good and will be used for the open worked dutch oven. The drystacked wall parts will find their place on various points on the dio.

The same day 31 figures from Buffalo Landing arrived. Very nice and a large variety in postures. Very well cast with no/little flash or visible parting lines.  I'll have to modify most by setting them back in time to approx 1914-1920 by replacing hardhats for normal hats, etc. Lots of possibilities. Finally I can finish the trimmersaw with the operators (pianoman) platform.

Coming weekend I am invited to the bi-annual exhibition in Sedan. This is one of the leading shows in north east France ( Champagne/Ardennes)  In 1,5 days 10.000 visitors.  A mix of all modeling disciplines. I'll report when back next week.
This will be one of the last shows the H0 layout will be shown.

Looking forward to next week with normal time for modeling again.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.