• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:22,5 Gmeinder 10-12PS/German Feldbahn

Started by fspg2, March 01, 2011, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

The best blending of skill and technology.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

fspg2

Thank to all for the reception :)

Bevel gears are connecting the two axes with the common drive axis.

One bevel gear is made of brass, the second from steel. (Klick blue letters for further information!)

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_25 (fspg2)

The bevel gears were tensed to a socket and were given a 1.3 mm hole through the flange.

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_20 (fspg2)

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_21 (fspg2)

Then both sides were sliced with 1.6 mm thread. Grub screws serves for fixing.

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_22 (fspg2)

Since my lathe dosn´t work properly, the flange was milled unceremoniously and the edges were broken.

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_23 (fspg2)

The bronze bearing is used for storage and can commute the rear gear box around the axis.
Thrust washers (6/3mm) minimize friction.

Gmeinder_10-12_Antrieb_24 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

That is absolutely terrific work. Most impressive. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eric

1-32

what really impresses me about your work is the amount of thought that you put into it .
kim

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

fspg2

At a Christmas exhibition on castle Salder I met Martin (a Buntbahn colleague). He  prosecute his vehicles with Deltang. As he handed the manual contol unit to me.... a bacillus came over!  

The Gmeinder should operate with DCC previously. But now... I´ll try Deltang system!

Martin tendered to assemble and configure a Deltang receiver and transmitter with a 12-volt step-up controler. More information is also available here at BBF forum. English translation: here

Few days ago I connected a Faulhaber 2020C/12V and a small 500mAh LiPo cell it works faultless!

Benefits:
a) no problems with dirty rails
b) no power contacts on the locomotives = less effort with wiring
c) frogs must not be polarized
d) immediate use without cleaning tracks
e) low-priced system
f) with a small hand held controller, I can drive up to 12 locomotives (will not happen certainly)  
g) excellent slowly driving characteristics
h) additional functions possible (eg light, servos,...)
i) without sound I need no speaker ... so I can built a motor dummy

But even there is a disadvantage momentary:
The sound question is not really solved easily. But perhaps something will come by the manufacturer, if sufficient demand exists.
Secondly, the programming of the decoder is not quite visible to me, but I can learn more about certainly.

However, If someone wants to drive with DCC on my modules – no problem because the rails are all connected to a 4mm2  loop.
Although the frogs were not connected, a small DDC engine without GoldCaps can drive across. I tried it!

I'm currently wondering about what kind of Faulhaber I will use with Deltang for Gmeinder 10-12 PS.

In an Exel sheet I can communicate the various parameters with each other:

The three speed steps of the prototype (12km/h,  8km/h and 4km/h) have three corresponding stepped volt numbers.
In DCC 18, 12 and 6 volts - for Deltang correspondingly 12, 8 and 4 volts.

The information for the speed that I found on an old Faulhaber sheet are regarded only for idle at 12 volts.

Recently however I found information about the speed under maximum load (506 U/min at 2020B/12V and the 2020C/12V there are 131 U/min) on the web:

http://www.spur0hans.ch/motordaten.html

He also offers a calculation program as Exel file.

I gave these values to the Excel sheet and got a gear ratio of 2.04 at idle and 1.24 under max load for the 2020C/12 volt by using DCC. For Deltang respective 1.36 at idle and under max load 0.82!

Gears droped out because of the noise. I will also say goodbye to the drivebelt!

The 2020B bis ruled out due to the necessary strong translation ratio for an O-ring drive - there is not enough space in the gear box.

Am I wrong if I compromise a transmision ratio of 1:1?

Then I could reduce the middle gear box a little and thus might create place for a motor dummy... at least when I renounce once at sound. In the upper part of the hood I will construct a small holding box for the Deltang receiver and the small battery together with a step-up regulator.

Because the production of FH2020 will finished soon, so I ordered  FH1512 for test.

Gmeinder_10-12_FH2020_Vs_1512_Deltang_01 (fspg2)

Many small parcels came with ordered parts recently, such as cables, switches, connectors, test motor FH 1512, pulley drive belt, ...

It's crazy ... Friday late afternnon I ordered 5 switches on the web (for € 1.79 + € 1.49 postage) .... I got it Saturday afternoon!

For the switch (on/charging battery) and the charging socket I milled an attachment that is integrated in an additional weight.

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_10 (fspg2)

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_12 (fspg2)

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_06 (fspg2)

A second weight will be installed in the rear frame section. These two brass parts increased the total weight by just over 50 grams.

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_09 (fspg2)

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_07 (fspg2)

To install the switch into the brass block I cut small "shoes" of Pertinax. Pressed with slight pressure, it holds the switch safely. Another fixing with adhesive is unnecessary.
Should the switch be broken sometime, it can be exchanged easy.

Gewicht_mit_Schalter_08 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Allan G

I must be at the Magic Kingdom! Your work is incredible. So well planned, visualized and then executed the same way. Allan

finescalerr

You are simply too good at this stuff and something of a genius. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Since the Faulhaber 2020 is available only sporadically, I have appointed a FH 1512 (translation ratio1:39) as an alternative.

To compare the two engines look at the table:

Faulhaber_2020_vs_1512 (fspg2)

For the selected gear ratio of 1:1 I milled a slightly smaller housing for the motor carrier of FH1512.

Motortraeger_Deckel-03 (fspg2)

In a Pertinax sheet I milled a 4mm deepening. Then I put a 20x5mm brass flat profile (MS58) in it and machined both sides.

Motortraeger_Deckel-06 (fspg2)

Drills and mills were changed 11 times.

Motortraeger_Deckel-04 (fspg2)

46 minutes later I got two cover halves.

Motortraeger_Deckel-07 (fspg2)

Motortraeger_Deckel-08 (fspg2)

I looked for a drive belt for a long time. Normal O-Rings dropped out, they are not designed for permanent load.
I make a find at Henke-Modellbau. Torsten Winkler sent me a belt with two roles for the motor and the drive shaft. Since the transmission ratio was at 1: 1.8, the two roles had to be lathe again. Christian helped quickly and sent me two rolls (1: 1) according to my drawing.

Motortraeger_Deckel-09 (fspg2)

Now the assembly of all parts can follow. I am curious if the Faulhaber 1512 engine satisfy my expectations.

Frithjof
Frithjof