• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

flat pack in 1-35 scale and dapto dogs.

Started by 1-32, June 25, 2015, 03:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

thanks russ.
what i really like about is the different angles that i never though about at the beginning.i do not know how you could full plan something like this at the beginning.looking around at different modellers there tends to be a swing towards displays with a small base but a big vertical scale.one that sticks in my mind was a military model-street scene iraque.narrow streets ,utter mess everywhere but peace on the roof tops.small model but vert intense.
cheers

Hydrostat

Kim,

I like your littered water and greenery a lot; looks like being full of sap and poisonous at the same time. About perpendicularity: You're right to remove the wall because it adds more scene to the same space than the wall and bush (which was great) did. But - to me the all over composition still remains very strictly rectangular and parallel, although this tubing draws one directly into the scenery.

I find chosing this gauge for a model railway sometimes is sailing close to caricature. Your model definitely is at the 'serious' side of the fence, but the barge looks completely out of scale, like a diminutive caricature, which in my eyes takes away all the atmosphere of the residual model. The barge's shack, which has the same shape, size and orientation as the hoods above the tunnel, adds to that impression.

Just my 5 cent about that: Positioning a much bigger barge, that implicates transport of the field railway delivered goods, in a much steeper angle to the pier may break up the perpendicularity a lot and add an impression of arriving or departing to an otherwise rather static composition. Maybe a deck mounted crane jib could implicate/explain additional 'transhipment activity' and correspond with the tubing's feature as a 'to the scene drawing element'. The barge would be cut by the layout's edge, which may give another interesting touch to the scene. It even could lie a bit skewed in the water, resulting from being unevenly loaded or some departure movements, breaking up horizontal parallelism. This may make it part of the story rather than part of a backdrop for some train movements.

If you decide to have the barge as it is, please try brickwork for it's shack  ;D.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

morning volker.
thank you very much for your thoughts all very constructive.this little model is full of shapes that are difficult to arrange in such a small space.my first impression of the module was that it had too much brick work and much the same tone.in changing of the back buildings i hoped change this continual line of both shape and tone.
the biggest challenge which you observed is the use of the box shape and the barge.it size does not worry me but there is something that is bugging me maybe i will look into your observations.
i am nearly finished all the hard construction i look forward to give the model  a personality.there is one element that i have panned that is going to pull it all together-fragile and big maybe too fragile for traveling.
trust me it is going to look amazing.
cheers kim

1-32

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

shropshire lad

Quote from: 1-32 on July 20, 2016, 05:22:36 PM
hi
i love small barges.

I love big barges !

finescalerr

shropshire lad

1-32

Barney

I just love its got true atmosphere in miniature
Barney

1-32

thanks barney.
at the moment i an working on the barge and whole package .the clouds are really important hopefully they will give the module   that feeling of space.really such a small model for such a large scale.
cheers kim

1-32

hi all.
my project at the moment is the barge for Dapto.i have become more convinced about texture,i works really well with washes.this is the deck of the barge not finished but close.rough styrene construction then water based glue mixes with plaster,paint on,rember when things become too perfect it destroys the character-my thought.
cheers.

finescalerr

It looks corroded and disgusting. I like it. -- Russ

1-32

hi everybody.
this is my progress on the DAPTO crane and rigging tender barge.
at the moment i work for a company that does a lot of wood finishing by hand.on some of there pieces they apply a minim of 30 coats slowly building up the surface.this is what i try and do -slowly build up the texture,paint and detail at the moment it is about80% finished
cheers

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! I really like the colors and textures on the barge.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World