• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Franck,
Is the Deutz OMZ 117 a kit?
Is it available?
I looked but can only find links to posts you made.
I would love to have one.
-Marty

Franck Tavernier

Marty,

There are kits from Carocar, a German craftsman...

In 1:45 scale : http://www.carocar.com/html/ecore_neuheiten.html

In 1:32 scale : http://www.carocar.com/html/complexx_galerie.html

And last time, KB Scale, a British craftsman :

In 1:43.5 scale : http://www.kbscale.com/

Franck

shropshire lad

Franck ,

Thanks for websites , there are definitely some nice looking locos on the German one , though you would have to be seriously dedicated looking at some of the prices. Very tempting though .
    I have seen the KB Scale Deutz and it is also a very nice loco . Plus it is a bit nearer my price bracket . I have a friend who has bought one , but I haven't seen it finished yet .
   incidentally , for those that are unfamiliar with KB Scale, they have recently taken over the production of all of the old Roy Link products . Which is good news as Roy used to make some interesting products.

Nick Ogden

Krusty

Franck, the Deutz is beautiful, as one would expect. I'm curious as to why you're changing the wheels. Is it for greater accuracy or have you encountered some problems with the Ultrascale wheels?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Franck Tavernier

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words! About the wheels I have had no problem with the Ultra scale, I want greater accuracy for my wheels...

the different parts are ready, but I did not assemble them yet  ;D ;D, the hub is in brass and rim is in Arcap, a metal near nickel silver...but look like steel  ;)

marc_reusser

Oh fine Franck...just ruin all my fun and aspirations!! :-\ >:( ...I might as well just give up now. :'(  Maybe I should just take up the hobby of making paper hats, or wooden pull-toys.

I spend all weekend working on the transmission for my critter, and today when I check the forum you have posted your brass loco build!....what's the use...why go on.  ???

Seriously though.......Beautiful work Franck, That is a really neat little loco. Thank you also for all the links and info.

Marc  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 29, 2008, 04:47:12 PM
Oh fine Franck...just ruin all my fun and aspirations!! :-\ >:( ...I might as well just give up now. :'(  Maybe I should just take up the hobby of making paper hats, or wooden pull-toys.

:D :D :D :D

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 29, 2008, 04:47:12 PMI spend all weekend working on the transmission for my critter, and today when I check the forum you have posted your brass loco build!....what's the use...why go on.  ???

;D ;D ;D

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 29, 2008, 04:47:12 PMSeriously though.......Beautiful work Franck, That is a really neat little loco. Thank you also for all the links and info.Marc  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marc thanks for the kind words...It's a pleasure to post here  ;)

marc_reusser

It's not easy following Francks act....but I figured I would post the progress on my cab interior.

This is about 16 hours of fussing. The transmission housing is made of styrene (hollow underneath to fit the drive. The outer edges were radiused by sanding, then 2 compund sculpting putty was abpplied into all the interior corners to mimmich casting radiuses. Once the putty was dry and sanded even, Mr. Surfacer 500 (from a bottle) was stippled on using a stif brush, to represent a sand/casting texture. this was then smoothed to various degrees (EI. more at edges where wear from boots would occur) to soften & vary the texture.  Bolts heads consist of modified Grandt nbw's, and etched brass pieces from an Eduard PE set. All the rivets (.018 & .023 dia) were made using a Waldron punch & die set. The arced "rain/drip gutter) is made of .005 styrene, and will eventually shield the gauges. Still lots to do here.

Marc

M-Works

Krusty

Good stuff. I like the texture on the gearbox and the whole unit looks very believable. Look forward to the paint job.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

lab-dad

Looking good! Love the brass PE nbw's, not so sure about the oversize one in the back sticking up?.....
I'm guessing you like the rivet tool? Loose many?
-Marty

TrevorCreek

Marty,

If I were to guess, the big one looks like a plug for the transmission fluid fill and drain.  I am sure that Marc could shed more light on this.

Frank

Franck Tavernier

Wow Marc, I like very much! Especially the general rendering  ;)

For a freelance model, the transmission housing, gear lever, and clutch pedal are very realistic! What did you used for the gear lever?

That's why I like freelance model now, you are not obliged to respect exactly the real model or the original model, and in the same time you have a nice model and realistic model!

Good stuff Marc!

Franck

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

Marty: I love my two punch & die sets....makes life so much easier, and has really opened up detailing options and opportunities. I actually loose far fewer than I did cutting individual ones of sprues, as I don't need to worrky about a "crooked/skewed" cut.....and if I do lose some...no big deal...just punch a few more ;D.  Mind you it is not the "end-all" tool....as round and conical rivets still need to be applied where they are more suitable/visible....what I like though is the variety I can get with the die-set...the smallest is .018...which is great for so many things like screw heads, sheet metal fasteners...and even for just plain more "in scale" detail...since one punches these out of varying thicknesses of styren, one can also get more realitic depth/protrusion...or simple "visual read"...and for flatter sheet metal rivets one can easily add a crown/soften the rivet with some sandpaper or a fiberglass brush....screws & countersung screws can easily be made by simply splitting the punched disks.

BTW...Frank is spot on on the big oversize one....I figured there would likely be an easily accessible fluid plug....so I tried to emulate that.

Franck: Lots of looking at photos and guessing  ;)...I would probably have configured it a bit narrower, and slightly differently, but it had to be that size to cover/receive the drive unit. The shift lever is out of my scrap 1/35 parts box...I think it came from one of those cheap models (Eastern Express?), of a Russian GAZ or ZIS.

I still need come up with some kind of "speed control" lever (as the pedal on the transmission is the clutch), and something (lever or foot pedal) to operate the sanding boxes)...there will probably also be some sort of small electrical or fuse box on the cab wall interior which will have a conduit running to a rear light location......but I need to step back and think those parts through...so I will likely start on the seat, and modifying the vacuum-form machine, so i can make the rear wall.

Marc

M-Works

Belg

Guys, more wonderful work so creative. Marc, you just mentioned a vacuum form machine, I have to admit I've heard the term before but don't have a clue what it is? Can you enlighten me?

Franck, in the latest pictures you showed us around the base of your transmission box is what looks like a kind of "silvery paste" for the lack of any other word. I'm guessing this is used to simulate grease and so forth building up around this area, what exactly is it? Thanks again for sharing, Pat

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: Belg on October 02, 2008, 01:13:37 PM
Franck, in the latest pictures you showed us around the base of your transmission box is what looks like a kind of "silvery paste" for the lack of any other word. I'm guessing this is used to simulate grease and so forth building up around this area, what exactly is it? Thanks again for sharing, Pat

Pat, the "silvery paste" isn't to simulate grease  ;) It's simply low temp soldering to simulate the transmission casting aspect :