• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krusty

QuoteBTW....these are a couple of the images that I am using as inspiration for my Gas Mech.

Jenbachs are cool locos. I used one as the inspiration for my first experimental 1:34-scale two foot gauge loco back in mumble, mumble, cough, cough.

The photo shows it visiting a layout built by the late Pete Hodge.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Franck Tavernier

Wow Marc nice job! I like very much the cab style  ;)

Franck Tavernier

Kevin, could you possibly tell us more about your beautiful Jenbach?

Krusty

Franck

Although the loco was built from the Jenbach 20 drawing in the first volume of Waldbahnen in ?sterreich, it was more inspired-by than a scale model.

It was mainly scratchbuilt from styrene, with some of the smaller details (eg the filler cap) made from brass. The vents in the bonnet side were stainless steel mesh recycled from a local water treatment plant (which had a 610mm gauge access tramway through the hill to the watershed - very civilised). The bonnet catches were stolen from a Grandt Line Plymouth, the springs and axleboxes came from an Airfix railcar kit and the toolbox under the driver's seat was recycled from a Tamiya military kit. The driver was a civilianised Tamiya soldier; he had his pose altered, legs, arms and torso stretched to suit the larger scale, his hands were reworked to fit the loco controls and he got new clothes from epoxy putty. If he looks a little unhappy, it's because he's spent the last quarter century with a hefty lead enema to help balance the loco weight over the wheels (drive was a re-gauged NWSL PDT, so it ran much better than a loco built on the usual SPUD, but nowhere near as well as a proper mechanism).

Base paint was Humbrol, with washes and drybrushing in the most-approved Verlinden manner, followed by weathering with more Humbrol, artist's oils, Winsor & Newton artist's pigments and Pantone proofing toner.

I think I've still got the loco somewhere, but the last time I saw it, it was very much showing its age.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons

marc_reusser

Kevin:  1985!!! :o....man thats oooooold!  ;D  Nice job on the Jenbach. Thanks also for the description on your process.  Any chance you still have the drawings of the loco, and you might consider scanning/emailing them.....would be really interested. Am having a heck of a time on some kind of "acceptable/plausible" cab interior....esp. the controls.

Franck: thanks.....I actually did consider a one-sided opening cab, but it just looked to cramped and off-balance (you know us anal retentive swiss..."Evereezing musst be even!" ;D

I need to ask an opinion on a cab wall/grab iron detail from both you and Kevin, but need to do and sketch or mock-up of it first....probably over the weekend.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

My dear young whippersnapper

The drawing I used was a catalogue illustration. Although good of its sort, it only showed the front and side elevations, so probably wouldn't be wildly useful for your purposes. Because I had no photos or drawings of the control area when I built my model, this area is an extremely dubious piece of fiction as modelled ? certainly nothing like on a full-size Jenbach. On Jenbachs, like many small industrial diesels, the rear of the bonnet/front of the cab was open, allowing access to controls mounted on the gearbox &c. The second of the reference photos you posted shows this. I'll post a couple of other photos stolen from the internet showing this area. Also a stolen drawing (from someone in Sweden IIRC) of a Jenbach 20. It's been bitmapped at a very low resolution, but does include a view of the bonnet rear opening. I assume for your model, though, you'll want a solid bonnet rear, as on, for example, Jung diesels.

Changing the subject slightly, someone sent me a pic of a large-scale Plymouth AL from the competitions at the Portland NG convention. Is that Marty's model? It's bloody nice.
Kevin Crosado

Krusty

More pics.
Kevin Crosado

Krusty

Stolen from the Fr?vi museum's website:
Kevin Crosado

marc_reusser

Kevin thanks for the great pics & info. Yes, you assume correctly that mine will be closed....and will also have to have some kind of a floor/firewall bulge, in order to hide the protruding BB mech. But the info you supplied will at least give me a detailing direction, to make it more plausible (if one sqints hard  ;D)

Yes, the large Plymouth is Marty's. He did a beautiful job. He once had a thread started on it over on MIG, but stopped posting a while back (and I think the thread dissapeared during one of the forum changeovers). He also has a Fotki or Flickr or some such page with some of the construction/progress images on it.....but darn if I can recall/find the URL.  the model is based on the one on display in Death Valley, CA.  I think that there will be an article on it in the upcoming FSRR Modelers Annual.

Marc

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Kevin,

Thanks for the description of your Jenbach, It's a nice model!

I found this drawing there are a few weeks ago :

A big thanks to Henrik Laurell and his nice web site :

http://en.fmbbm.net/association/drawings.html

Franck

Krusty

QuoteYes, the large Plymouth is Marty's .... I think that there will be an article on it in the upcoming FSRR Modelers Annual.

Kewl. Do you know if there will be any sort of scale drawing? I wouldn't mind building a Plymouth sometime and the AL model rather appeals as we had three working on drainage tramways here in the 1920s.

A couple of borrowed Jung EL110 photos which may be more relevant for your project.

Franck: Thanks for your kind comments.
Kevin Crosado

marc_reusser

Frank: Thanks for the neat pics, Drawing & Link.....good stuff.

Kevin: Thanks for the interior shots. Help a lot with my "winging it".

I do not know what Russ has planned for the article. I dont think there was ever a plan...unless Marty drew one for himself.....I know Marty spent a good bit of time/discussion collecting images, info, data, and any kind of drawings he could from some the guys in the Terrapin group.....but I don't know/recall if he ever got an exact plan,....I think in the end he had to figure it out himself. He put an awful lot of effort into this loco, and I think it shows. He fabricated almost everything himself, and those few parts he didn't (like the radiator cooling fins, and the curved spoke flywheel) he had laser cut out of styrene by Tom Fitzgerald, of Crystal River Model Works.

....but then Marty can probably tell you best what was involved when he gets back from the NNGC...I am merely a poor second hand source ;D

As far as my loco projct goes, it is progressing, I have milled down the bonnet length, and am working on the headlight and starter crank area details....after those I will focus on the details on top, such as the gas filler, stack, and probably the radiator filler.  Trying to decide whether to do an external Air filter on the side of the cowling....I can't recall ever seeing one on these types of locos though.

Marc

M-Works

Krusty

QuoteTrying to decide whether to do an external Air filter on the side of the cowling....I can't recall ever seeing one on these types of locos though.

Do you mean something like this? Probably only on machines like Brookvilles that continued using tractor skid units as the power plant late enough for that sort of apparatus to be in vogue. Most other builders had moved on by that time.
Kevin Crosado

marc_reusser

Kevin,

Yep, that is what I was thinking of (great image BTW).....thanks for the historical context also...has helped me decide against doing it.

....on another front, sad news....Marty apparently did not win first....which to me is truely unbelievable...and a really sad comment on the hobby, because from the photos I saw of all the contest entries, 90% were pure unmitigated, skill-less/talentless crap.  I can't believe that the builders of these things had the audacity to consider them contest level/quality models. IMO there should have been a rubbish bin at the contest room door where these things should have been deposited. Truly astounding, and truly saddening, for what it says about the the "model" in model railroading...and about the mediocrity that seems to have become the accepted norm in the hobby.

Marc

M-Works

Krusty

QuoteTruly astounding, and truly saddening, for what it says about the the "model" in model railroading...and about the mediocrity that seems to have become the accepted norm in the hobby.

Must be a lot of Model Railroader-level people out there. Apparently there is quite a lot of behavioural and psychological research showing that people need to be skilled themselves to truly recognise skill and that incompetent people in any field have no conception of just how incompetent they are. I feel sorry for Marty ? certainly from the photos I saw his loco was a standout, with most of the other entries very mediocre as you say. Don't the NNGC competitions have a bit of a history of dubious votes at times?
Kevin Crosado