• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dresine - Portuguese mow locomotive

Started by nalmeida, January 28, 2011, 04:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

nalmeida

Well, it's been a long time since I last posted in here but the project is not dead. I know the links for the images in the rest of the thread are dead since I moved to a different server.

Thats why I decided to post new pics. Since the last post I made I decided to thin down the sides of the Dresine, they are now 0,75mm and on the glasses it's around 0,25mm to be closer to the original thickness. These are the last pics of the sides (some are turned back to show the low relief for the glasses):

A closer picture of the low relief detail:

The glasses that will fit there are a bit harder to photograph:

The chassis where everything will (hopefully) fit like a glove:

And the top of it, I had to do some extra pieces in order to get the exact shape of the prototype:

Finally a picture of the pieces I'll use to do the small back sides of the cargo area, I took a picture of the darn thing together with a 0,50 € just for you guys have an idea of how easy is to loose them... again!

Everything went together already so I'll post a few pictures soon. There's still a lot to do.

eTraxx

Looking good. I believe that 0,50 € is about the same size as an American quarter. Me .. I'm interested in the actual process of machining these .. what equipment, software etc.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

nalmeida

The pictures above were from some days ago, I started to put the parts together and this is the current state:

Since it's a work in progress some parts may appear to be slightly out of place:

From above:

That's it for now.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Glad to see you back, and back on track  :D
Looking good so far, I agree it is small!
-Marty

nalmeida

Well, some progress has been done on this project. I redesigned everything from scratch since there was some interest to make this as a kit, although that isn't my main concern it might become available one day.

At this point I have almost every part ready for painting:

And this is a test fit without front and back bumpers, there's also other parts missing and glasses are only stuck in place:

Since painting is my weakest point it might take some time to finish this one!

Gordon Ferguson

That is really neat, and very tidy building skills.

Could you share some details as to how you did the roof, I need to make something similar and would interested as to how you approached it ........ And also the some details on the windows and their black surrounds

Thanks
Gordon

nalmeida

Thanks Gordon,

As for the roof, and since I needed to make a few I carved a master in styrofoam made a silicone mold and poured some resin. Carving was made in my cnc machine after designing it with Sketchup.
The windows are 0,4mm thick clear styrene in which I carved (using the cnc again) inside the edge a 0,4 mm/0,2 mm recess. This way painting is a lot easier and since I want to simulate rubber I used a flat acrylic paint to do the job. In the photo below you can see some windows yet to be painted that belong to a TTm scale old city tram I'm building:

Thanks for your interest once again.

finescalerr

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Nelson for the info, was really hoping it was not machined  ;D

Still I can just about handle Sketchup now , so I will sort the drawing and send it to you for the CNC bit  ;D
Gordon

michael mott

All this digital stuff!!! we need to get back to the analog stuff where folk filed away their fingerprints. just sayin' :)

Looks really neat! but way beyond my humble skills. of pushing a file across a slip of metal or plastic.

Michael

Andi Little

Quote from: michael mott on June 03, 2013, 08:52:48 PM
All this digital stuff!!! we need to get back to the analog stuff where folk filed away their fingerprints. just sayin' :)

Looks really neat! but way beyond my humble skills. of pushing a file across a slip of metal or plastic.

Michael

Yeah!

Just think one day we'll be able to put a picture [digital of course] into the machine, credit it with a zillion zonks and out will pop a perfect replica in your choice of scales - now, that'll be real modelling.

PS - I'm taking the piss.
KBO..................... Andi.