• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Yikes! That would be heartbreaking to destroy so much fine work. Though I must confess, I'm kind of glad to know I'm not the only one who has done something like that.   
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

today I accidentally melted a loco body with a heat gun!

Michael

marc_reusser

Oh...that sounds awful.......but you just know I have to ask....."any photos?"

Nice to see you back here posting Michael.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Hey Marc,

There is nothing like a good meltdown photo.....  ;D :D ;D

Michael:
Sorry to here that michael, I hope it was not one of your favorites... bummer... Guess you will have to build one now...  ;)

Mike

mobilgas

Marken,       Thanks for posting the gas station rotating sign article...just what i needed ;D  could you e-mail me a copy im haveing trouble seeing the small print on the post?  or give me the year and month of the model railroader.      thanks Craig

Marken

I'm still looking for it. Can't find the mag so far. I know it was on the last page.

Did you try printing it out?

I'll keep looking. Got boxes full...

mobilgas

Quote from: Marken on November 11, 2009, 05:09:10 PM
I'm still looking for it. Can't find the mag so far. I know it was on the last page.

Did you try printing it out?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Marken,.....   I printed the page of the roating sign out and i was able to read it then ::) .....  Thanks    Craig
I'll keep looking. Got boxes full...

marc_reusser

Some more clutter.......spent some time at the bench tonight and threw together a small 2'-gauge light work/utility car frame. This is not patterened after a specific manufactured prototype, but rather a conglomoration of pieces from photos of "shop-built" or shop-modified cars/frames like this.  The front left 'Z' beam in the images is intentionally slightly bent...as if it had a run in with a stationary object.  The 'Z' beams are still missing 3 worn wood members running on top of them along their length (these will be added after painting).  The car is a 6' scale feet long with a 3' wheelbase. I used 1/48 scale 20" wheels from Grandt, into each of which were drilled three holes.  Bearing journals are also Grandt. The rivets are .025" from Tichy (took an entire pack to do this car), The 'C' channels are actually .125" 'H" channels cut to a 'C' shape, in order to get a more prototypical flange depth. Pins are from Precision Scale, and links are from Simpson.

M

M-Works

finescalerr

Turned out rather nicely. Quite snappy and credible. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks Russ.  Maybe I can use it as part of the caboose challenge.  ::)

Here are two more quick pics of the car with after a primer coat.

M

M-Works

Scratchman

Marc, more great detail, good idea using the 'H' channel.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Frederic Testard

Very nice, Marc. I was wondering how the rivets would look when their color fits that of the remainder of the car. Your last shots show how nicely sized they are.
Frederic Testard

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 15, 2009, 04:19:28 PM

Here are two more quick pics of the car with after a primer coat.

Seems like the little bugger passed the "primer test" with flying colors (if you can speak of colors when disussing a model primed with white...)!
Nothing like a nice coat of primer to pick out all blemishes on a model.

Look forward to see the next steps in the painting process.

Regards, Haavard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World