• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Completed » Fish Sub / Paddlewheel!

Started by FichtenFoo, September 25, 2010, 07:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Very Cool!

Thanks aslo for all the info and research.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys! Here's some more... I painted the brass on the portholes and such.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/fish-shaped-submersible-build-up/

Chicks dig giant robots.

Malachi Constant

Good Gawd, that thing is amazing!  Can only imagine the one that got away ...

Unbelievable (outstanding) finishes ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

That is so cool and beautiful! I love the various metallic surfaces.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys! I wish my paint order was here, but instead I get to sit on my hands rather than painting the fins. Bummer. I need to get them painted so I can assemble them prior to weathering.
Chicks dig giant robots.

JohnP

Quote from: FichtenFoo on November 23, 2010, 08:49:34 AM
prior to weathering.
NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't weather it! Make another one and weather it but save this one and post huge photos of. So I can sit and stare and wonder in amazement. It is so beautiful as it is. Incredible job sir.

John
John Palecki

finescalerr

John's idea ain't bad. Maybe something to think about .... -- Russ

FichtenFoo

Believe me, I'm very torn. It looks beautiful as is, but weathering it will make it fit the sunken base. I did already add the post hole afterall. The weathering will hopefully enhance and not take away. And regardless, this won't be my last one of these to build.  ;)

The weathering will be a slight dark splotchiness (seen in the copper bust tutorial I posted) as well as some patina. I intend to keep as much metal sheen as I can. No worries about mud since it'll be underwater.
Chicks dig giant robots.

RoughboyModelworks

Gorgeous piece Michael. It reminds me of an antique pocket watch, beautiful to look at with exquisite mechanical details. I tend to agree with John and Russ, save this one as is, unweathered with it's existing patina and do another weathered version for the diorama. Afterall, you know where to get a second version...  ;)

Paul

marc_reusser

Unfortunately I tend to agree about the weathering...I almost just want to see this one on a stand under one of those glass dome things (bell jars) you see in museums.

The one by the paddle wheel dio should IMO be more muted and with some kind of blue grey cast to give that feeling of being underwater. ...

...but I'm one to talk....Im still keeping it in the box for lack of courage to build it.

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

You guys are acting like I can't replicate this later.  :P :D

Again I *would*, but it's already got the unsightly square hole on the right hand side for mounting to the base. I added myself to the 3rd Edition list to do another of these very clean. Maybe my wife will even let me display it in the living room. LOL!

Anyone know where I can find a suitable bell jar cheap?

Chicks dig giant robots.

DaKra

Michael's should have the big bell jars.   I got one there some years back.   I actually liked the look of the model in the primer coat better than the copper finish.  It looked like riveted iron, which is what I would expect for an early submarine.       

Dave

FichtenFoo

Chicks dig giant robots.