• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Just phenomenal - it just looks awesome!
As Bill already wrote, indistinguishable from reality!
Frithjof

TRAINS1941

Just dam right scary that anyone could make the real thing just better than the real thing.

A MASTER at work!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Les Tindall

You can almost smell the wood and feel the texture, absolutely stunning. You are a master in whatever medium you use!
Les

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words!

I worked on the operators' running board this weekend. I made it the same way as the sequence above, using the Prismacolor pencils for the grain. I found an image of a nicely grained timber, scaled it and printed it out for reference. The grain lines are hand drawn and then lightly burnished with my finger and/or an artist's stump. Then sealed with Dullcoat and soda brushed to dull.
The supports were copied from a Canadian donkey and bent using .060 aluminum rod.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Just got out the knitting needles!  Think I'll make a winter sweater for the dog!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

I was happy banging rocks together, then I heard the sound of the symphony orchestra...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on February 07, 2021, 09:27:22 PM
Just got out the knitting needles!  Think I'll make a winter sweater for the dog!

Jerry

What sort of wool are you going to use and will the sweater cover his/her whole body or just it's chest ? I've got some lovely patterns I could let you have !

Well, there's not much else to do when you're stuck in the corner , now that I've pick all the plaster off the walls , so a bit of knitting helps to while away the time .

Nick

finescalerr

Nick, why don't you come out of the corner and maybe we can coach each other as we try to emulate the kind of stuff Chuck is doing. I'd probably be pretty good at burnishing colored pencil lines with my finger if you can draw the grain. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

This work is both inspiring and depressing ....... you just hope that one day you might get close to this level .

It's the accumulation of all the little details that add up ..... like the oil stain ring , but you could go on and one picking out these details
Gordon

Bill Gill

Chuck, What kind of stump did you use? I have a spruce and a maple stump in my yard :)
Russ, I can help sharpen the pencil.
Nick, I'm not ready for knitting something as complicated as sweaters, maybe I'll try simpler at first, like an ashtray.

Lawton Maner

I can't come close to this!  Maybe Nick would like to help me empty the whisky bottles I think I am capable of collecting.

Peter_T1958

Speechless!!! ::)
Or may be: Thank you very much for the short tutorial...  Although, to be honest, it won't help much, as we can sharpen and hold the pencils in all possible ways, we will never ever get results like this :-\
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

shropshire lad

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on February 08, 2021, 02:59:00 AM
This work is both inspiring and depressing ....... you just hope that one day you might get close to this level .

It's the accumulation of all the little details that add up ..... like the oil stain ring , but you could go on and one picking out these details

Gordon , you do yourself a dis-service . Your standard of modelling is very high and you can hold your own against Chuck . Whilst he is the master at what he does and no one ( and I truly mean , no-one )can match what he does with wood he does have his limitations (not many I grant you ), but when was the last time you saw a figure on one of his dioramas? He doesn't do figures , which is fine , but I guess he knows that they wouldn't come up to the standard of the rest of his work .

Like most of the rest of us modellers , Chuck works within his comfort zone and does what what Chuck does best , but sometimes I can't help thinking that it would be interesting to see what he could come up if he modelled something he had never tried before .

So dig that Land Rover out of the box you dumped it in and get it finished so that I have no excuse not to finish the diorama it is going on !

Nick

Chuck ,

Like everyone else I am in awe of your work and would love to say more , but I have just dropped a stitch on the swim suit I am knitting and have to go back and put it right !

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Loved the picture so much I went out and brought one of the Prismacolor pencils.  If I can't model to that standard I can at least make sure I have the right pencils in my photos!

Lawrence
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com