• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

fspg2

Thanks for your postings and the SBS.
I allow myself to say: Chucks work is best world class!
Frithjof

Chuck Doan

Thanks Frithjof!

After riding out a couple of rolling earthquakes this weekend, I got back to work. Two more bits applied. First was the seat spring. I made a forming buck out of brass strip, and clamped a piece of styrene strip to it. Then a quick dip in boiling water and a nice formed part is made. I wanted a styrene part because I hate painting metal.

The steering wheel will be missing, so I 3D printed the splined shaft that would be left. (printed by Shapeways)

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Glad you made it through the quake!!

Nice details Chuck.

Jerry
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

How far are you from the epicenter of the quake?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Mapquest says 145 miles. Significant rolling, but no damage except to calm.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Robert G

As usual, more real than life. Great work and most interesting to follow. btw, with a good metal primer, painting metal is as easy as painting styrene. (Which I don't like... :D) And there are several ways to color metal chemically aswel;  But then again, I am the 'Wood Man '  ;)....

Chuck Doan

Thanks Robert, I have tried various ways to do metal. Since I am almost always doing chipping, I need a hearty undercoat. Recently I tried an acid etch primer that stuck well to the metal, but my usual model paints wouldn't stick to it!

Anyway, I managed to steal some time this weekend and installed half of the spark plug wires for the aftermarket magneto ignition. Still needs the other side installed with the spark plugs.

I used .022 diameter solder which is perfect for 9mm cloth wire. I cut lengths and rolled them with a file to give some texture. 

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Chuck, despite hating painting metal you do it well when when you do it. Without your description of the materials you painted there's no way to tell what's metal, styrene or 3D filament underneath the paint and weathering.

TRAINS1941

Looks mighty fine to me!!

Bill's right no matter the material you always seem to make it work!

Jerry
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

To borrow a phrase from McDonald's, "I'm loving it!"

It's funny, but an oily, grimy old machine kind of gives me a warm feeling that I don't quite get from a similar machine in showroom condition. Part of the appeal is the history implied by the grime, rust, dents and chips. It says, "This is a piece of history; a link to the past. This machine has witnessed young men growing old, and outlived them."

Another part of the appeal is the oil and grime are testament to the work this machine has done. It's no show piece, no prima donna. It has a job to do and has done it well for many a year.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

Seen up close, it's really even more impressive....

Excellent work as usual!

This scale is really fantastic and allows great things to happen!

Franck

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much, guys! Ray, original patina tractors are becoming much more prized lately. I have heard farmers say these tractors are "wearing their work clothes".

I finally finished the next step (two tries); adding the spark plugs and wires. Like the other big Fordson I did, I am glad it is not a V-8!

I did these plugs almost like my first tractor. But I added a second nut on top, and a homemade decal with some "Champion" lettering. These are based
on early designs with smooth, stubby electrodes.

The wires were done exactly like the previous tractor.