• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Yes it's the Danbury Mint model. I'm hoping to 3D print some items to avoid re-working some of the metal parts.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bill Gill

Chuck, I kinda like the antigravity mount, but, if you're going to do something more traditional it'll be fine too :)

Ray Dunakin

Chuck, I just got the latest Gazette and was pleasantly surprised to see your article in there. Congrats!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Yes got mine to.  And there was Chuck.

Now he better get busy for the follow up article!!!!

Congratulations Chuck.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

A friend told me about Chuck's article. Bob discontinued my Gazette subscription after somebody incorrectly reported a comment I made on this forum, maybe in the "private" Blue Note Room, about his magazine.

I had written, as an honest analysis, that changes in the hobby and, to some extent, Bob's complacence had left the Gazette a caricature of what it used to be. The tattletale told Bob I called his magazine a "comic book". Bob never read the post and never phoned me. Instead he asked Mal Ferrell to call me and, despite my clarification, I never received another Gazette.

Cliques, politics, and childish behavior are symptoms of a dying industry and are the reasons I stopped attending the NG Convention years before I stopped publishing.

Russ

Bill Gill

Can someone tell those of us who don't get the Gazette what the article is about? Is it this Fordson tugger hoist, or some other project?
Whatever it is, Congratulations, Chuck!   

Ray Dunakin

The article is about using 3D printing to produce brass detail parts, such as Chuck has done on his tugger hoist.

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! I think it's been over 14 years since my last gazette article. Just a brief description of "3D printing" brass parts. I thought it would be interesting to folks who haven't heard of it.

Also got some bench time, finally starting on the main drum. 25' of stainless line is kinda heavy all wrapped up in one place! And then there are the 144 gear tooth faces to polish. :-\

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That photo gives a pretty good idea of the size of your model and its parts. There's no room to approximate anything; every detail is in your face. On one hand I understand why you moved up from 1:48 but, on the other, the model is BIG and every nuance is important. No wonder it's heavy. Satisfactory. -- Russ

lab-dad

Go big or go home!
Big stuff equates to lots of small models assembled into the final piece.
That is why those of us who love to scratch build end up in larger scales.
-marty

Bill Gill

Thanks, Ray & Chuck.

Chuck, Looks like you are almost wrapping up another terrific build, at least 25 ft of it anyway. Really good looking!

TRAINS1941

Beautiful!

Chuck I hope that's not Russ's CD your using for a paint  palette  ???

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Marty and Jerry, go stand in the corner. In Marty's case, that may be the only way to keep him around the forum for a while.

As a trivial matter of interest, the first time I met those two rascals in person was at a National Narrow Gauge Convention and, as I recall, they were sitting together at a table and drinking adult beverages. It was a shock from which I never have recovered.

Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on March 20, 2018, 12:23:39 PM

As a trivial matter of interest, the first time I met those two rascals in person was at a National Narrow Gauge Convention and, as I recall, they were sitting together at a table and drinking adult beverages. It was a shock from which I never have recovered.

Russ

Was Mario with them ? That probably would scar you for life and explain your eratic behaviour !