• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett Ore Unloader in 1:32th

Started by Bernhard, February 08, 2023, 08:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Bill, actually several hundred hours have already gone into research and design.

Russ, actually there were four Huletts on Whiskey Island. But I'm happy when I get a model done, as long as I can still get up in the morning and know who I am and if so when.

Bernhard

Bernd

Bernhard,

I'll be following this very closely. On one of the other forums, I'm on way there was the beginning of a joint effort by several modelers to build an HO scale version of a Hulett Unloader. I got very interested and purchased a set of plans from an individual by the last name of Rabbitt if I recollect correctly through Sylvan Models. This quite a number of years ago. I looked to for the drawings today but could not find them. They're buried somewhere in my basement. And you're using one of my favorite building material, brass.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bernhard

Thanks for your hint, Bernd. In fact, I have been able to find the drawings by Mike Rabbit for some time. Apparently there has also been a CD with photos. Do you know where I can still get them?

Bernhard

Bernhard

Well then, let's take a look over the model maker's shoulder and see how he makes the most important parts. First, however, some raw material has to be procured. In the following picture you can see some of it.

Hulett 0018.JPG

Let's start with the production of the bodies for the nine trucks.
A brass block is milled over on all sides.

Hulett 0019.JPG

The large radii are milled on the manual milling machine.

Hulett 0020.JPG

The small radii are milled on the CNC router.

Hulett 0021.JPG   

Bernhard

Then the axle holes are drilled and reamed.

Hulett 0022.JPG

Next, some parts have to be milled out of 1 mm and 2 mm thick brass sheet. By the way, these were the first parts I made on the newly acquired CNC router. But I had to learn the hard way. Wrong tools and too high feed rate led to the tool breaking twice in a short space of time.

Hulett 0023.JPG
Hulett 0024.JPG

Now two bearing flanges are soldered onto each body. Because this requires a lot of heat to be brought into the solid body, this is done with a soldering torch.

Hulett 0025.JPG   

Bernhard

Now the nine bodies are finished.

Hulett 0026.JPG
Hulett 0027.JPG 

Bernhard

A somewhat simpler part is the bearing plate. Here, too, a brass block is first milled to size on all sides.

Hulett 0028.JPG

Then the flaps are milled out, ...

Hulett 0029.JPG

... rounded with a quadrant milling cutter and drilled.

Hulett 0030.JPG

And another part is finished

Hulett 0031.JPG   

Bernhard

Interesting parts are the dirt deflectors. This is attached to the outer trucks with two bent T-sections.

Hulett 0032.JPG

Since I can't bend the small T-sections like this, I mill them out of a 2 mm thick brass plate on the CNC router.
First the parts are machined from one side to the middle.

Hulett 0033.JPG

Then the plate is reversed and the parts are finished. Two pins ensure that the plate is correctly positioned for this operation.

Hulett 0034.JPG

Then two of the T-sections are soldered to a flat material.

Hulett 0035.JPG   

Bernhard

Now only the plate has to be mounted.

Hulett 0036.JPG

Bernhard

finescalerr

What Lawrence said.

Well, that probably took about half an hour. What will you do for the rest of the day?

Russ

fspg2

Bernhard,

First of all, congratulations on the new CNC milling machine!

That's a great project - I love such contributions.
I will follow you here with pleasure!
Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SandiaPaul

Great to see this coming together!
Paul

Hauk

Always a joy to see another update to this spectacular project!
What kind of CNC-router did you get, but the way?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past