• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Military Modeling / Re: Another Artillery Tractor
Last post by Peter_T1958 - June 03, 2024, 12:24:58 PM
Thank you Barney (the king of scratch building!). And here another work in progress photo. The pigments are on - I love this kind of weathering work, although, the rear wheel solely took me half a day and a lot of neck pain.  ::)

Zusammenbau_22klein.jpg

BTW. the toolbox isn't weathered yet, because I have to place there a decal. I decided to redraw all decals, IMHO the kit ones had not the right font - and it is an old-style German script... :o

Ersatzteile.jpg
Modellers At Work / Re: "Metal" paint
Last post by Peter_T1958 - June 03, 2024, 12:24:37 AM
So, I have to add my two cents worth to this subject! Recently I ordered these AK products (there are even more metal shades) and it looks rather good to me. However, special attention should be devoted to an absolutely perfect surface. That's why I have to remove the paint and fix that. The imperfections are clearly visible in particular on the left lamp reflector.
But I can fully recommend it!
Z.jpg   1000018397.jpg
Last post by Ray Dunakin - June 02, 2024, 11:14:05 PM
I've had good results with Tester's "Model Master" line of metalizer paints, but unfortunately those have been discontinued. Supposedly the AK brand "Xtreme Metal" paints are fairly good but I haven't tried them yet.
Modellers At Work / Re: Feldbahnmodule with ship
Last post by Ray Dunakin - June 02, 2024, 11:05:40 PM
I'm always amazed and fascinated by your methods of solving each problem.
Last post by Bill Gill - June 02, 2024, 06:03:42 PM
I don't have much experience with using finishes that look like metal.
Here's a little I can offer:
Like Lawrence listed above, a soft graphite pencil can create a look like iron or steel, especially in places like handrails or edges where the paint gets worn away and the bare metal has a soft polished look..

I've seen spray paints in hardware stores that are supposed to look like chrome, polished gold, copper and more. I never used any, but have seen plastic caps on some of the spray cans that have a painted finish that looks like chrome or gold or copper.

I have approximated an old galvanized (zinc) finish by mixing a very light gray (perhaps with a bit of white) and a tiny touch of cobalt blue.

I covered the raised lettering on a sign with 23 karet gold leaf to look like gold leaf. That was after all the metallic gold paints I tried (solvent, acrylic, spray) had tiny metallic flakes that did not look like gold metal.

An old sign painter gave me several small jars of extremely fine metallic particles. The aluminum powder, when mixed into matte varnish looks exactly like aluminum paint.
Last post by Lawrence@NZFinescale - June 02, 2024, 04:59:20 PM
Quote from: Carlo on June 02, 2024, 01:20:17 PMHi, all-a-yooz,

I seek information and advice from this august body. I am trying to find a good-great paint to use to represent metal (iron, aluminuium, chrome, etc.) finish on plastics and resins. Last I looked, there was "rub-n-buff" and little else. Since that was ages ago, I'm wondering what's being used now, and what is best. Can someone tell me, or give advice?

Thanks, Carlo
There are a whole bunch of approaches that work to varying degrees, depending on what object/surface you are painting and what effect you are after.

Some I've played with:
Real metal foil
Humbrol metalcote (after buffing)
Uschi steel
soft pencil/graphite
Molowtow chrome
Rub n Buff
Various Alclad systems (which I haven't used personally)

YouTube is my go to for effects these days.
Last post by finescalerr - June 02, 2024, 02:20:39 PM
Not bad. -- Russ
Modellers At Work / "Metal" paint
Last post by Carlo - June 02, 2024, 01:20:17 PM
Hi, all-a-yooz,

I seek information and advice from this august body. I am trying to find a good-great paint to use to represent metal (iron, aluminuium, chrome, etc.) finish on plastics and resins. Last I looked, there was "rub-n-buff" and little else. Since that was ages ago, I'm wondering what's being used now, and what is best. Can someone tell me, or give advice?

Thanks, Carlo
Last post by fspg2 - June 02, 2024, 07:36:29 AM
@Lawrence
The part looks great!

I bought an FDM printer a few years ago. After I had converted it to aluminum plate and magnetic foils and height sensor, etc., it remained with a few test attempts. The "coarse" fineness, even with the thinnest layers, didn't convince me for my small parts.
I don't want to buy a resin printer - I have enough projects waiting to be completed, not to mention the fact that I still have a few ideas lying dormant. So I have some parts that can't really be produced on the milling machine printed by a service provider.

The top of the gearbox housing still needs to be rounded. There is a small jig made from 6.0 mm Pertinax for this purpose.

Getriebe Ausleger 12 (fspg2)

Getriebe Ausleger 13 (fspg2)

The lower part is inserted into the guide groove on my small Böhler saw (today Kaleas) and thus determines the distance to the grinding wheel.
The upper part can be rotated around a 3.0 mm axis. The turning radius of 13.0mm was set to 13.3mm in the jig.

Getriebe Ausleger 14 (fspg2)

This allowed me to slowly grind the radius. Everything was held in place with my hands. Then the distance to the grinding wheel was reduced with two 0.2mm and 0.3mm thin strips of sheet metal inserted one after the other to achieve the final 13.0mm rounding.
The surface is currently still a little rough due to the 120 grit sandpaper used. This will be reworked with the finer sandpaper I ordered.

Getriebe Ausleger 15 (fspg2)

The four individual parts of the gearbox, which are currently fixed with M2.0mm screws, will later be screwed together with four M1.2mm steel screws. The 1.1mm holes already drilled on the milling machine in the side parts served as a guide for the corresponding 4.0mm deep holes in the middle parts. They were carefully machined with a thread cutter.

Stahlschraube 1.2mm kürzen 01 (fspg2)

As I only had 10.0 mm long screws in my stock, they had to be shortened to 4.5 mm. A small 5.0mm-thick Pertinax plate was drilled with corresponding holes (with a conical countersink for the screw head).
The screwed-in screws were shortened with a fine fretsaw and then sanded smooth on a board covered with sandpaper. I ended up with four screws of the same length.

Stahlschraube 1.2mm kürzen 02 (fspg2)

Stahlschraube 1.2mm kürzen 03 (fspg2)

Last post by finescalerr - June 01, 2024, 12:08:39 AM
That little unit certainly turned out well. -- Russ