• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Yet another machine shop

Started by PuckHog, March 09, 2009, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

What a great scene!
Thanks for posting!
-Marty

TRAINS1941

That is one nice job.  And double what Marty said that is a great scene.  And thanks for posting.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

danpickard

Hi Randy,
It has made a great little scene, especially with the track rolling past it now.  I'm fond of some of the shots where the lighting is a bit more subdued, and the interior lights are throwing a few more shadows.  I also like the look of some of your ground work between the shop and the track.  I still think I'm gonna have to steal that elevated tank idea and use somewhere on one of my future projects, probably one of my favourite mini scenes amongst your shots.  Good stuff...

Cheers,
Dan

PuckHog

Thanks Marty and Jerry....still learning on the finishing techniques but having fun!

Hi Dan,  Thank you and you bring up an interesting subject, layout lighting. After taking models outside to photo them it really shows the great look to be had if our artificial layout lighting would be more life like. I plan on trying some of the new lighting products that promise a more true natural colors. What did you guys decide to use on your newest display layout?   Randy

finescalerr

Can you say "article"? Please contact me at finescalerr@msn.com if you are interested. The modeling, lighting, and scenery are most satisfactory. -- Russ

danpickard

Randy,
Lighting on Dolly Varden was fluorescents, with 5000k daylight tubes.  We actually blotched some pale blue paint randomly over the tubes though, which mottles the light spill a bit (avoids some of that harshness often found with fluoro's).  There was also spacing between the tubes, from 1-2' gap of no light source, which also helped create a bit of light and shade across the layout.  If you refer back to one of the first overall shots I posted of the layout, you can see areas where it darkens a bit.  Almost helps to divide scenes a bit too, as trains emerge back into better light.  This probably only works well though in a shadow box style layout, where you can control the lighting levels a bit better.  Lighting standards tend to vary quite significantly between different exhibition venues.  Having seen many layouts that just use the ambient light in the venue, and how dull they can appear, we tend to always put a bit of effort into setting the best possible light to view our work in.

Dan

Chuck Doan

Really nice, Randy! I really like the lighted scenes.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

PuckHog

Thank you Russ,  will be in touch!

Thank you Chuck....(cutting slots in rivets for screw heads!!!!!  Amazing stuff)

Randy

Franck Tavernier

Nice Job and great scene Randy! I like very much!

Franck

LeOn3

Outstanding job on this scene Randy. I also like the lighted ones.

Leon

Krusty

What everyone else said. It's a lovely piece of work. I particularly like the guy leaning on the post – he adds a nice relaxed natural touch. Is he a stock figure or your own work?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

PuckHog

Thanks,  Franck and Leon,  appreciate the kind words,   Randy

Hi Kevin,  thank you and the figure is from " Arttista".  Good line of poses but they fall short up close in the face and hands with poor detail.  Have ordered some "Phoneix " figures that Dan uses.  I wish I could do figures!! I need to get Ray to teach me!    Randy

RoughboyModelworks

Nice job Randy... The night scenes are very evocative, well done.

Paul

PuckHog

Thanks Paul,  The simulated night time when I dim the layout lighting and turn on interior lites is always popular when having guests over.     Randy