• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Challenger Kit Bash from two Pacifics

Started by Jerry Barnes, February 22, 2009, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Barnes

I've been working on this Challenger kitbash in 1/29th for awhile. The 3985 through Lexington and sometimes stops. I had a lot of pix of it and went to North Platte and took some of 3977 there. I blew them up to match the Pacific wheels in size and worked from that as my plans.  I'm using two Pacifics for the drive trains and miscellaneous parts. Craft metal, or metal duct tape is used and I emboss rivet/line patterns in it. This is not an exacting scale build like John does, just an impression. LONG ways to go.

A close up of the pipe work so far. I used 3/8" copper tubing and fittings I got from my refrigeration guy. The white flanges were made with a nylon washer(easy to drill) and some Ozark bolt castings. I molded it and cast some to place on the pipes.

I'm having great fun with it. I will admit it is not exacting in detail/scale, but that ain't me!

michael mott

Wow that is a big loco ! Gerry can you explain the copper and what looks like foil method that is on the boiler shell.

regards Michael

marc_reusser

Jerry..same comments and questions as Michael.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Jerry Barnes

The copper foil can be purchased at craft stores in different gauges. Some thicker than others. The thicker can support more relief. Working from the back side, I use a ballpoint pen for lines and details. A pounce wheel is used for rivets, you can get them in different sizes at art stores. I have an old leather tool pounce tool that works good for larger ones. You can glue the foil on with 3M  Tack and Trim adhesive, liquid nail or whatever. For lighter relief and ease of work you can use the real metal duct tape. It is adhesive backed.   You just put in your patterns, then peel off the backing and stick it on the car/loco.  I used it on the boiler. The cab got the heavier craft foil. Tops  of the domes got the thickest gauge of copper foil I have, you can really get alot of relieve in it, using popsicle sticks/ x-acto handles/whaterver to press into it. They do make specail tools for copper embossing, check your art/craft stores.

Jerry Barnes

I got the Challenger put together for a test run on my track. First day was bad, kept derailing, found the wheels had gotten out of gauge when I moved them around-dumb of me not to check that!  Next day it went fine, but then started having problems. The eccentrics were off, now that is fixed but it's snowing. Runs fine up on blocks.

michael mott

Thanks for the info regarding the foils Gerry.

regards Michael

John McGuyer

Jerry,
I'm impressed with your innovation in finding new and different materials and your willingness to tackle a major project like this. The vast majority of the people in large scale just want to take their latest toy out of the box and plop it on the track. Don't worry about super scale at this point, it will come with time and experience.
John

Jerry Barnes

I got some paint on the Challenger. Nothing is attached real well in these pix. Still need to do the lights/lettering and few misc details that seem to keep popping up. Guess I'll have to put up a new shelf in my train shed for it, it is 32" long and has an 18" tender.

PuckHog

Jerry,  It is great to see this big guy get some paint!  Please keep us updated after lettering.......Thanks,  Randy

John McGuyer

Jerry,
I'm so impressed with what you've done with this engine. You've taken on a major project with basically hand tools, You have used creative approaches and unique materials to create a viable locomotive. This is the heart and soul of scratch building. Now let's break out the air brush and blow a little steam engine dirt on it. It will then be the hit of 'Marty's'.
John

Jerry Barnes

I pretty well finished up the Challenger, it was quite a project, almost more than I could handle. Kept changing my approach, as unexpected problems popped up.  I made it #3988 for something different and may still put the 'ears' on it, just for grins. Plan some weathering also.

marc_reusser

Thats one-hell-of-a project...you should be very proud!

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Jerry Barnes

I did some weathering on the C, mostly Bragdon chalks, bit of airbrush on the smokebox.  I was at North Platte and got some good shots this time of the side of 3977, that is on static display there at Cody Park. Stitched them together on the computer.

PuckHog

Jerry,  Nice touch on the weathering , love the blue number plate!   Thanks for the update.    Randy