• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

C&VRR hardware store

Started by Bill Gill, May 04, 2023, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

I had a little time over the past few weeks to make a bit of progress on the hardware store.
The bicycle with spokes that I posted a photo of a while back eventually will be hung above the items in the left window. The other items in that photo will go out on the small deck that will be out front of the entry that will hide the brick foundation.
hardware facade 3a.jpeg

A closeup of the backlit screen door looks coarse but under normal lighting and a narrow view angle it will be OK.
hardware screen door 1.jpeg

finescalerr

Nice work on those tiny details. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice! What did you use to make the screen?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Thanks, Russ. On the layout the front of the store can only be seen at a steep angle so the front windows and a narrow front deck will have detailed displays to distract and block the view of an otherwise empty store.

Thanks, Ray. The screen is a piece of the finest silkscreen mesh that a screen printer had on hand. I also looked at several kinds of fine mesh teabags (nylon?). They were too thick for this situation.

TRAINS1941

Great job on those details Bill.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

NICE  ::) just keep it coming
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Thank you, Jerry and Barney.
Here's an earlier in progress shot that shows the normal narrow view angle of the front of the hardware store.
hardware front view.jpg

And here's the bike in the front window.
bike .jpeg 

TRAINS1941

Bill great shot of the store front.  Bike looks perfect there!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill

Thanks, Jerry. The view is inspired by a bike hung in the front window in two vintage hardware photos i found on line. One is even a store in vermont in the 1950s, which fits my layouts time & place perfectly.

Bill Gill

Two more snapshots of progress on the hardware store. The front deck is glued on but the merchandise on it is just propped up until I decide if I like the arrangement and I figure out how to glue some of the things that have very little surface area for gluing and no thickness for pinning. There also will be a sign below the second story windows.
Wms hardware deck.jpeg
Wms hardware dek street view.jpeg 

Ray Dunakin

Looks great! The only thing that stands out to me as possibly needing correction is that large shovel standing wrong-way up. It seems like it wouldn't be very stable even with the supports.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Thanks, Ray. I agree about the large shovel.
I'm also debating about trying to replace the overly thick handles on it and the other shovels with something closer to scale like on the green handled broom. And the wooden frame for the wheelbarrow  is funky and I think I ought to square off the ends of the step ladder braces... but overall the general effect of the stuff on the deck works like I'd hoped.

finescalerr

I agree with you, Bill. Despite a few details, and considering the usual viewing angle, the overall impression is quite good. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Thanks, Russ.

After a little unsuccessful experimenting to give the shovels thinner handles, I instead made three new brooms and gave them slightly thicker broomsticks. I also added a second wheelbarrow to reinforce the idea that the stuff on the deck is merchandise on display.

Although my original plan was to pack the deck with as much stuff as possible, I actually wound up reducing the number of items on the right side of the deck after finding a way to pin and glue the step ladder in place.The deck looks better now, I think. 

Only need to add the sign over the entry and perhaps a couple enameled signs on the sides.
Wm's Hardware brooms front .jpeg

This is the side street side of the store.
 Wms Hardware brooms street copy.jpeg

Here is the all but impossible to see trackside of the store.
Wms Hardware brooms trackside. copy.jpeg